Author Topic: Bow #001 - Vine Maple 50# @ 28"  (Read 11715 times)

Offline BigWapiti

Re: Bow #001 - Vine Maple 50# @ 28"
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 09:54:11 pm »
usually in early October, we can see the vine maples in the drainage areas in the Cascade and Coastal Ranges. I guess it is the only deciduous trees in those drainages. Almost the only fall color in the conifer forests.   Pat

yep, thats how I go about finding them - bright red patches in the green.  They're not big on camo I guess!  :)  They stick out like a gorgeous sore thumb in October.

Mike
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline Gordon

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 10:28:07 pm »
Hey Mike, feels good doesn't it. I wreaked four VM staves before I got my first shooter so you're doing very well. She's a beauty for sure. I wouldn't hang that one a wall, shoot it! Vine maple is tough and it takes a lot to break it - and your tiller looks pretty darn good anyway. I'll bet that bow will be flinging arrows for a long time. Congratuations!
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 01:18:48 am »
No bow should be built to hang on a wall. >:( They are built to shoot. ;D If a bow doesn't survive, there is a reason why....but hang it on a wall and you will never know.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 02:02:43 am »
Beautiful bow, lots of character and for sure a majory challenge for someone just starting off, You did a good job saving it after that hinge. Tiller shape looks very good, With the limbs running paralell down to 12" from the tips you could have either narrowed them or got them bending more and that would have lessened the hand shock. Overall I think you should be very proud of yourself. great job!  Steve

duffontap

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 02:53:07 am »
Very nicely done.  Your finish work is of a very high quality for a 'first' bow.  I think you could blame some of the set on the length.  Vine maple is unpredictable when it comes to string follow and at that relatively short length, you should expect a little string follow.  All that to say, a seasoned bowyer may not have fared any better. 

Congratulations on a fine bow!

J. D.

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 02:53:42 am »
great looking bow , fo sho!

jamie

Dingleberry

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 10:43:58 am »
Awesome bow.  Great success in your first completion. :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 11:21:08 am »
That's fantastic The bow is  wonderful. Congratulations! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline adb

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 12:35:21 pm »
Wow!! Nice first bow!! A character stave 'ta boot. Well done. You bit off a big chew with a character stave, and a nice job of pulling it off!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 01:16:38 pm »
Beautiful bow Mike,Finish work looks great and the tiller looks good also.Great job on a
challenging piece of wood.Nothing like #1.I still remember that feeling.congrats on it.I
know everyone has there preferences but as for me I love character bows.Just can't help
myself. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2008, 01:42:40 pm »
Very nice job. Bookmarked, too, under Feb Self Bow of the Month.  Take a look everybody how BW does his pictures.  Neutral background, no clutter so we really see the bow.  Good job.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 02:48:27 pm »
All I can say Mike is great job. I can't believe you had the guts to try a piece of wood with that many obsticles in it. I think the whole thing is cool.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 03:46:20 pm »
Hey, wow, thanks everyone!   It took a loooong time to get this thing done doing it after work or only on the weekends between honeydos.  I was considering selling the business and start playing with wood shavings instead - so much more enjoyable than writing computer code all day.  ;)     And I'm very glad to hear you stress that I shoot it, hunt with it, use it.  I will.

Very nice job. Bookmarked, too, under Feb Self Bow of the Month.  Take a look everybody how BW does his pictures.  Neutral background, no clutter so we really see the bow.  Good job.

Yeah, but beware, and heed my warning, if you don't move the furniture back your wife gets rather displeased.......  I have to remember to do that when I get home tonight.  ;D

Thanks again all, I appreciate the nice comments.
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

rattlesnake

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 03:11:49 pm »
beautifull bow!!.. great story... got my vote!!... ide work on form to get rid of that wrist slap,. turn your body more towards the target and bend your bow arm just alittle, and work on your grip!! one more thing ide raize the brace hieght ?[if you can? just a bit at a time till you find a sweet spot] this will help with wrist slap and bow shock!!.....great bow my friend and ide hunt with it for sure!!  work on your form bud!! wrist slap will ruin a hunt especially with bulky hunting cloths ....snake

ps ,, a couple sets of fur string silencer's will help also!!

Offline John K

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 03:37:49 pm »
Great looking bow ! You got my vote also.
I hope my first turns out half has good as you'rs did !

FB
The only way to fail is to never start !