Author Topic: Nocks: burning them into wood with red-hot iron nail... Works like a charm  (Read 9378 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Thanks for posting.  I will give this a try.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline crooketarrow

I have a old bent screw driver grinded down I've been useing for a good dozzen years ago.
  The handle will save your hand from the heat and you can put a lot more pressure with a handle.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JW_Halverson

It also occurs to me that this technique would replicate the benefits done by "primitives" on the OTHER END OF THE ARROW!!!!  Can anyone guess what I am talking about?   Heheheh.  So easy a cave man could do it!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline marcelslot

It also occurs to me that this technique would replicate the benefits done by "primitives" on the OTHER END OF THE ARROW!!!!  Can anyone guess what I am talking about?   Heheheh.  So easy a cave man could do it!

Wow, great idea! Just guessing: heating a stone point, then let it 'sink and burn' itself into an automatic 'perfect fit' in the wooden arrow ... Then apply pine pitch/other glue and wrapping... Done!
Must be really fast and I see no reason why it would not work

Thx

Marcel

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Marcel, that might work with stone that is not affected by heat (like rhyolite).  Otherwise the stone becomes more brittle (heat treatment) or might even blow up.  :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bushguy

• Bush lover, from way back... :)
Slick trick or what eh? Now why didn't we think of that? :) I'll be giving this a try real soon with some shoot shafts I cut last month. Thanks for sharing this buddy!  8) bg
The bush keeps me young...

Offline make-n-break

Bushguy,

I see you're fairly new to the forum so I thought I'd offer a quick tip:

It's not a general practice to revive a thread that has been dead for a year, or even six months for that matter. Notice how the last post was a few days shy of one year ago. It just clutters things up and mixes a bunch of old threads in with the new material. It's a fantastic tip, the red hot nail thing... But it's probably better to observe, admire, take note, and move onto the next thread without a comment.

No harm done! And no hard feelings by anyone I'm sure, but just wanted to give you a heads up on general forum etiquette.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1