Author Topic: Having trouble with my strings  (Read 6173 times)

Offline Tiredtim

Having trouble with my strings
« on: May 12, 2015, 10:59:02 pm »
I am having a very hard time with making a flemish string. First, I can't use the jig I made and use the numbers on the jig.  If my bow is 62" and I use that number it's always too short.  Easy fix but frustrating.
And the string seems to continue to stretch.  Any suggestions would be great. 
Thanks

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
Re: Having trouble with my strings
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 11:55:01 pm »
Tim. you just have to get to know your jig, what peg makes what length string. I measure everything with a ruler, never eye ball.  I pre-stretch my strings with a ratchet strap between two posts in my shop, crank it up tight and leave it sit over night. it will stretch very little when you shoot it in.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 11:35:51 am »
I had the same problems. I re-numbered the jig with known length strings. I thought my stretching problem was the bowyers knot but when I twisted the last one to shorten it a bit the slipping seems to slowed down. So maybe make them a hair longer and twist them up a bit

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 07:28:46 pm »
Awesome. Thank you, guys.  I'll try the ratchet for sure. I just thought I was doing something wrong there. Thanks again.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 02:08:41 pm »
When you make your string you twist up the top loop, then do you twist all the way down, when i first started building strings i did this and not only did they come up short but they stretched a mile, make the loop then if you use a bowyers not untangle the bundles, i hang mine from a nail, then reverse twist the last foot then to get the length you need i hold it taught and twistthe whole string, might be all wrong but thats how i do it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bigbuck150

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 01:09:09 pm »
How short is your bow string coming out when it's finished?

Offline rger

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 04:11:25 pm »
I had the same problem at first. However when I renumbered my jig the accuracy is about 1/4 inch, depending on twists and loop size that I need.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 12:15:08 am »
I cut my bundles sixteen inches longer than the intended string, twelve longer than the bow, 'and splice between four and five inches for my strings. Very secure and easy to predict. Whatever your jig configuration just get it to produce the proper length bundles and you're good. I cut my tags after the rest of the string is twisted.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.