Author Topic: Curious lurker  (Read 8895 times)

Offline Midnight

Curious lurker
« on: May 14, 2015, 11:36:27 pm »
I am six feet four inches tall with a draw length of thirty three inches. I have been practicing archery for about six months now and have been bitten by the bug to try my hand at building a self bow. My first question is this, how do I determine a ballpark length for the bow? My second question is would sugar maple be a good choice or would white oak be a better choice?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Curious lurker
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 11:43:28 pm »
I think 72" long and bend through the handle would be a good start. After a few more replies I'm going to move this post to "BOWS" for better response. Either sugar maple of white oak would work well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Midnight

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 11:54:14 pm »
Thanks for the quick response Pat B. Sorry for posting in the wrong section.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:28:36 am »
Not necessarily in the wrong location but you'll get better response on the "BOWS" thread. I'll go ahead and move it now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 11:18:31 am »
Long as you are tall bendy for your first, middle 18" 1-1/4" wide then straight taper to 1/2" tips to get started
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 01:14:56 pm »
I'm 6'4" and I have a 28/29" draw. Where do u anchor?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 01:46:54 pm »
All my orders' working wood length go by draw length times two unless otherwise specified. Levers count as working wood as they enhance string angle dramatically. Figure out the length of your desired grip/riser and add that to limb length and go cut yourself a stave ;)

So for you I'd start at 66" for a bendy handle, 73" for my standard 7" grip + 1.5" of you want a cutaway shelf.

A little more length is good security. I like building short but when I started I probably had an extra six inches on everything.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 09:25:04 pm »
Welcome to PA!! :)

I know guys 6'6" or more and have a hard time drawing past 24"...and guys a foot or less shorter than that draw 30"+....jus saying...I don't believe what someone tells me there draw length is until I see em shoot  :P   :laugh:

If you honestly have a 33" draw I'd make a simple bend in the handle bow no less than 76" long for your first few attempts

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 09:28:48 pm »
  If you are shooting a compound now I would guess you will end up with a 28 or 29" draw. Maybe not, I have a 5" 11" buddy who draws an honest 31", my 6'6" buddy draws about 28".

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 09:44:40 am »
For a selfbow double your draw and add 10-20% depending on the wood used and its condition.

For your first few a backing like silk, linen, burlap or rawhide is suggested.

There's info on my site.

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 09:53:57 am »
33" draws are few and far between but not impossible. I had a guy wanting me to build a bow for him, said he had a 34" draw, being skeptical I asked how he measured his draw length. He said he held and arrow in his hand and simulated drawing it without a bow.

I told him to place the nock in the middle of his chest and extend his arms without stretching and see where the tips of his fingers touched the arrow shaft in front of him, the length was 29". I built him a bow for a 29" draw and it fit him perfectly.

Offline Midnight

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 02:29:17 pm »
I'm 6'4" and I have a 28/29" draw. Where do u anchor?

I anchor right behind my cheek bone. I have a wing span of over 81 inches. I'm tall but also as wide as a door in the shoulders.

Offline Midnight

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 02:41:40 pm »
  If you are shooting a compound now I would guess you will end up with a 28 or 29" draw. Maybe not, I have a 5" 11" buddy who draws an honest 31", my 6'6" buddy draws about 28".

My compound is set up for 31.5 inch draw and thats the max for my bow. Its also to short but my friend that got me into compounds showed me how to cheat the extra length I need with my d-loop and with the type of release I have.

Offline Midnight

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 02:45:44 pm »
33" draws are few and far between but not impossible. I had a guy wanting me to build a bow for him, said he had a 34" draw, being skeptical I asked how he measured his draw length. He said he held and arrow in his hand and simulated drawing it without a bow.

I told him to place the nock in the middle of his chest and extend his arms without stretching and see where the tips of his fingers touched the arrow shaft in front of him, the length was 29". I built him a bow for a 29" draw and it fit him perfectly.

I measured mine by putting a PVC pipe in my left hand and a yard stick as the arrow and drew back to my anchor point and voila... 33 inches. I did this 4 times to be sure.

Offline Midnight

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 02:52:58 pm »
Thanks everyone for the info and help. I really appreciate it.