Author Topic: scrapers  (Read 5864 times)

Offline Spotted Dog

scrapers
« on: May 15, 2015, 01:04:25 pm »
here do you all get your scrapers ? Other than using banding. I have set 2 of my good ones
down and can't find them.  Brain dead for 2 days now.   
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: scrapers
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 01:09:33 pm »
Cheap scissors with the rivet removed makes 2 good scrapers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Johnny K

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 01:34:00 pm »
I like the scissor idea. Got to try that...
If this bow breaks, I'll build another. If it doesn't............. I'll still build another.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 01:35:06 pm »
Highland Woodworking has a very good selection of scrapers.  That's where I get mine.  A good cabinet scraper, properly sharpened, is a pleasure to use and highly controllable.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 01:35:40 pm »
My best scraper is made from a circular saw blade.  I followed this how to post and put a good edge on it. 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1237.0.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 02:00:35 pm »
My personal preference is for the traditional cabinet scrapers with a proper burr edge, as opposed to the 45 degree knife edge scrapers.  I used card style scrapers for a while, but Keenan Howard turned me on to the longer, narrow scrapers (shaped like a big Popsicle stick).  I just made one for myself out of an old combination square. These are pretty common at garage sales and flea markets. It took some time on a rough stone to grind through the stamped numbers, but it was worth it. I is a thicker steel than traditional card scrapers but still flexes nicely.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 02:09:46 pm »
lots of good ideas.  I just hate to loose things. Too much stress in my life. Need to make another bow. :laugh:
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 07:32:16 pm »
Buy a new one. Place it at random on your workbench. Your old one will be right under it ??? ??? ??? Works for me.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 07:46:22 pm »
I make mine out of old band saw blades.The same blades I make my trade points out of. Grind down the serrated side and it leaves a 1 1/4'' blank.File the edges flat ,then roll up a good burr on both sides. I got the old blades(free), from a company that builds tanks( oilfield tank batteries).They regularly change out the dull blades for new ones.Find a similar outfit and ask for trashed blades. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 11:39:02 pm »
I may be the one the few on here that doesn't use a scraper, I have always used my hunting knife.....works for me.

Mark

Offline J05H

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 01:40:18 am »
Your not the only one. I use a buck folding hunter with a broken point. It's pretty much its dedicated purpose now. The curved portion comes in real handy getting into the valleys when chasing a ring.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 02:48:10 am »
You should try a properly sharpened cabinet scraper, around 50 rockwell......Lie Nielsen make some nice ones. A joy to use.
The key with scrapers is learning how to sharpen them correctly. It's a bit of an art form! Personally nothing comes close and i've used custom knives made from 52100 steel....they are better as knives!!

Offline J05H

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 03:35:56 am »
....they are better as knives!!

Granted. The right tool for the right job and what not. I just used what I had and it worked for me so I never got around to getting a real scraper. I will one of these days. I'm sure they are loads better, but you can't miss what you've never had.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 05:46:52 am »
I use an old wood saw or hand saw. Just cut then with an old chisel and sand them squad with the disc sander and put an edge on it.  Work better than my crown scrapers !
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 09:15:42 am »
I use my Swedish push knife as a scraper.
It's the tool on the bottom.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!