Author Topic: Did I say I hate pop up's  (Read 2073 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Did I say I hate pop up's
« on: May 16, 2015, 07:59:18 pm »
 I took a little break or I was made to take a 8 day break. But this is'nt about that SATURDAY morning before I went to, well you'll figger it out. I'll look at the good side my chest and spades have both improved.

Saturday was a morning I'll never forget. I wish old grabddad would have been with me.Out of 100's of mornings with him some dark mornings I fell him standing lissening with me. Just
 waiting for the sun rise.

All week 1/2 dozzen times I saw from my deck or from a shop door. 4 GOBBLERS, 3 TO 7 JAKES and 4 hens that first time there was a smokey gobbler (white with black tiped feathers) He was struting 200 yards in a corner of a field. We had a smokey hen here for 3 years. He's the first smokey gobbler I've never seen a smokey gobbler here on this farm Iever seen.

I'VE NEVER HAD THE CHANCE TO KILL A SMOKEY GOBBLE. Untill now. Granddady Had a 4 year old 11 1/2 beard 1 spurr was 1 3/8's the other was just a nub like a jake. We killed it in VA. GEORGE WASHINGTON NF. in 1981.

So I put a pop-up up at a point of land. I hung 2 bags of soil on the electic fence so I sould shoot over it.

I did'nt know it then But SAT. morning I did. I'm not a pop-up guy I hate you can't here and it dos'nt sound natural when your calling.

I here a gobble 200 yards to my right he was in my field. I jake cluck a gobbler behing me 60 yards. When he gobbled at my jake clucks. I knew, you people know what I mean. Once I get one to gobble at me. 80 % he'll get in bow range. He's dead with a gun If I'd use a gun.

Anyway 10 min's. he gobbled 10 yards behind me comeing right out a deer trail 3 feet a way.  I could here him SPITING AND DRUMMING Right beside my pop-up. Here's where it gett's a little wild. Get got to the held down fence. I could'nt shoot the place,right where he went to get under.

I heard the fence the gobbler flew straight up spinging. He got shocked and I was lucky he went straight up came down 10 feet away. He was looking straight at me. I mean pissed I tought he was squareing off at me. When I heards another gobble drummijng again 5 fOOT IN THE SAME DEER TRAIL..

I peaked through my little slit. It was the smokey gobbler. I had a dogwood shaft with a knapped TEXA'S CHERT HEAD.

THE ONE IN THE FIELD LOOKING MY WAY WAS JUST FAR ENOUGH TO THE LEFT. I could'nt shoot.
  All of a suden the gobbler out in the field came straight back under the fence and was on the smokey in a instant. I should have when straight out and I'll bet I could have took a shot. BUT I DID'NT  They fought 30 yards,up as hill in the breirs.

I was in shock ,Came in a instant gone just as fast. I waited 15 min's. hoping my clucks and purrs well draw the winner back. I love to purr,I did nothing. 1/2 Hour later I was lost in thought and sweat did I say I hate pop-ups.

All of a sudden a dobble gobble 50 yards down the fence. The gobbler I'd heard earyer 200 yards to my left. I gotten indereasted. I hit him with 2 clucks from my little duce slate call. It's my go to call when I talk small talk.

I could see him comeing to my front from the right. There was a tree,bush 20 yards out straight in front of me.
 Made a little bottle neck. Of corse he struted out past the tree 20 some yards. 20 IS TOPS 12,15 IS A LOT BETTER. He went around the tree ,wanted and did strut to ESISE 2 (decoy) Again to far to my left.He looked my way and he was headed across the field. He'd saw something he did'nt like. I could here him putting 50 yards out in the field.

I walk back I said this to myself quite a few times. Lucky I retired my 3 1/2 back in 2,000 LUCKY
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING