Author Topic: Release  (Read 3203 times)

Offline DC

Release
« on: May 12, 2015, 09:17:31 pm »
When I release my thumb smacks me in the cheekbone. Not that hard but if someone smacked me like that I'd smack back. Thump thump every shot.  I'm working on my form. I draw, hold for a two count(just to make sure I've done everything) and release. Thump and my hand ends up just at the back of my jaw. Is that seem normal?

Offline Chief RID

Re: Release
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 02:24:32 am »
Sounds weird but a deeper hook with my fingers solved that problem for me. I think it actually improved my shooting all around.

Offline son of massey

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 10:51:45 am »
Sounds like your hand is doing a lot of motion beyond just releasing. What is your anchor? Does the hand twist or move laterally to hit your cheek where it is? Or is it moving back in a straight line? Be careful not to pluck at the string when you release, that maybe could account for some backwards hand travel.

SOM

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 07:00:46 pm »
if you draw further your thumb will be behind your face and cant smack you

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 07:22:23 pm »
I already deep hook and my anchor is middle finger in the corner of my mouth. I'm going to have to get someone to watch me to get any more info, it all happens too fast for me to sort out. I thought your hand was supposed to move back on release. My draw is already 27 1/2-28". I don't really want to re-tiller all my bows :D :D

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 05:20:40 am »
I think brad has a point. If you are like me, you are trying to get an anchor and unconsciously continuing that anchor through the shot. Can't do it. That is why you need to continue to draw through the follow thru. This may make you develop a pluck or it may feel weird to you but odds are you are not continuing to add tension through the release. I think anchor is the worse term that could have been used to describe what we do. Others can describe what is happening better than I but for me it is all about how you think about what is happening. I hunt so I want to shoot the heaviest bow I can shoot accurately. For me that means I have to think about my follow thru as continuing my draw thru the shot or I will pretend to be at anchor and hit my face or I will short draw.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 06:43:05 pm »
  Release with the third finger down first, to other 2 can't stop from doing the same.

You get the same release every time. I mean everytime (1,000's).

HOWARD HILL released this way. I've released this way for over 30 years.

When I feel the burn on that third finger. I know the release was a good one.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 07:50:00 pm »
I was messing around out there today and I think what I was doing was releasing just before I got to my anchor. If I really make sure I'm anchored there is no problem. I have to pull to anchor, stop, and then ask myself," Are you sure you're anchored."  Then I'm OK. I'm kinda having trouble being consistant. I tend to snap shoot. Gotta work on that. Thanks for the input. It's all good info. I'm going to shoot for 50-100 shots a day, as long as my body will take it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 12:07:20 pm »
I normally release when I hit anchor. If I find myself short drawing I'll hold for a second or 2 before releasing and usually after a few like that I'm back on track
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 12:56:32 pm »
My son struggled with the same thing when he stepped up in poundage. He ended up over-bowed and couldn't get to and hold that anchor. He dropped back down a bit in draw weight and worked his way back up slowly. He's shooting great again now.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 12:15:56 am »
  It's amazeing how 2 or 3 #'s can make.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING