Author Topic: cherry bark backed black walnut bow  (Read 16086 times)

Offline Josh B

cherry bark backed black walnut bow
« on: May 17, 2015, 03:01:52 pm »
My wife casually mentioned, hinted, alluded to and made it known that her current bow was not as nice as the bows I had been making for others as of late.  She also subtly let me know that it would really be  nice if I corrected that oversight of mine.  So I set out to rectify the situation.  This is a piece of black walnut backed with cherry bark that I got from Carson when I was last out in OR.  Thanks Carson.   I tillered the bow out to about half draw and then glued the bark on with TBIII and let it cure.  Once it was cured I finished tillering it out to 35#@26".  The bow is 69" ntn and 1 7/8" wide at the fades tapering to 1/2" tips.  The tips are a layer of maple and then burl walnut.  I wrapped the handle and bark splices  with thread and saturated it with superglue. The bark splice wraps looked a little odd so I added one more wrap to each limb to balance it all out.   The string in the pics is just a spare I had laying around.  The real string will be pink and white fast flight with black serving(I forgot my string stuff in the truck).  The stave had some roller coaster character that  made the bark application  a real pain.  Next time I use cherry bark, the bow will be completely free  of character.  The arrows are 5/16" POC shafts that have been tapered to 9/32" nocks.  I bought these shafts from Matt Wirwicki at last years classic specifically for this project.  They are as close of a match to the bow as I have ever made.  Thank you again Matt!  Josh
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:24:10 am by Gun Doc »

Offline Josh B

Re: cherry bark backed black walnut bow
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 03:06:45 pm »
I gave this to her on mother's day and wouldn't you know it, it rained almost everyday that I've been home since.  The sun was out today so Miss Dyan and I  took advantage of the reprieve and snapped some shots.  Thanks for looking!  Josh
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:25:49 am by Gun Doc »

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 03:08:35 pm »
And some more pics.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 03:13:37 pm »
That's a cool looking bow right there.  Nice job Josh
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 03:15:37 pm »
And some more pics including Momma with her new bow at her full draw.  Thanks!  Josh

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 03:23:23 pm »
Love the character and  bark!

Great job, Doc!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 03:35:00 pm »
Very nice bow, Josh.   Its always a good idea to keep Momma happy!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 03:37:52 pm »
That is totally sweet!  The bow, I mean.  Errrr, I'm confident the wife is also.  Ahhhhh, ya know what I mean!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 03:48:10 pm »
Really really nice Josh.  The cherry bark on top of that black walnut looks amazing!

Offline Drewster

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 03:51:12 pm »
Well, if Momma ain't happy, nobody is happy.  Momma certainly should be happy with that bow.  Really nice job.  I like it!
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 04:01:27 pm »
Mr. Doc that's one sweet shooter right there ;) And ya did that walnut and bark proud too.
rich

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 04:04:34 pm »
Sweet. That walnut and bark combo really stands out.
Steve Bennett

Offline Hans H

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 04:25:08 pm »
very nice, like this composite
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 04:55:01 pm »
Beautiful bow!  VERY nice work!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 05:07:26 pm »
Good looking bow Josh and the Mrs. looks pleased to have it. Nice grain in that walnut, did ya go all heartwood on that stave?
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.