Author Topic: handles  (Read 3552 times)

Offline huntertrapper

handles
« on: February 03, 2008, 11:35:54 pm »
the handles on my 50 year old bows from previous post arent all staying together. would it be possible to shoot and hunt with the bow with ou the extra handle pieces, it would then be a small handle. i can post pictures if you guys need more info.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: handles
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 11:37:29 pm »
Yes post some pics...bob
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:56:11 am by Kowechobe »

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:47:52 pm »
okay i will try.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 06:28:22 pm »
The cracks on started but are holding right now b/c of the wrap. would it be possibles to hunt and shoot, if you guys know, with just the bow itself and not the extra handle pieces. you can see some of the cracks in the picture.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 07:16:22 pm »
If the riser pops off, just retiller it as a D bow. D bows very good ;D.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 07:32:14 pm »
I wouldn't try it, you would be better off gluing the pieces back on.  The bow was tillered as a stiff-handled bow, without those pieces its possible that it will break there in the middle.

You might be able to use superglue, that stuff seeks out cracks and fills them.  Be sure and clamp it back tight right after you glue so the bond will be strong as possible.  Superglue doesn't work well to fill cracks.

Your other alternative would be to attempt to pop the piece off entirely, sand off the old glue and glue it back on from scratch.  You can use an epoxy or a carpenters glue, they each require different surfaces.  I would go with a 2-ton epoxy myself, its stronger and is more forgiving of small gaps in the mating surfaces.

Do also consider that these bows are pieces of history.  Its great that you are using them, just try and keep them in as close to original condition as you can.  Thats just an opinion. 
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline david w.

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 07:33:58 pm »
I had the riser pop off my bow once. I just glued it on with epoxy. it worked great and i never had a problem with it again.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 08:05:43 pm »
Hi,
I agree with tom sawyer. Don't retiller. Knock off the old riser, clean up and flatten the old belly surface on a belt sander, and glue on a new riser, with fresh wood. I've done it with some older bows, and it worked great.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 08:23:22 pm »
i could make a new riser though i have already glued it and the glue still cracks. though i will retry it when i get more glue. :)
Modern Day Tramp