Author Topic: Heat Treating Persimmon?  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Drewster

Heat Treating Persimmon?
« on: May 18, 2015, 08:50:16 pm »
A bowyer friend recently harvested some persimmon.  He shared a stave with me and we are wondering about heat treating it.  Does it heat treat well?  Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge with this wood.  It's a new specie for me to work with.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline JonW

Re: Heat Treating Persimmon?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:02:18 pm »
I have made three from Persimmon. One heat treated. It is a white wood and I think nearly any white wood will benefit from a heat treatment. Good wood I think.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:35:32 pm »
Yep, it's got outstanding tensile strength so heat treating cuts down on the set.
Springfield, MO

Offline jesswprater

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 06:19:46 pm »
I have a question that you might be able to answer. I have a whole grove of Persimmon trees, some 14-16" in diameter. I was going to cut one this spring, but noticed from Wikipedia that the grain is interlocking. That conjures up images of Elm and Hickory to me, which is a wood that will not split easily. Can you tell me if your friend had any trouble splitting the staves out?

Jess

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 11:56:48 pm »
I just split a couple persimmon staves a fee weeks back and they actually split pretty easy but i did use a circle saw to score a line first

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 12:21:25 am »
Heat treating persimmon turns it into a whole other bow. It responds better than almost any wood I have heated. I love persimmon as a bow wood. Its amazing in tension and a narrow sapling makes a powerful bow. I wish I had some.

Short story: I cut a persimmon while camping one weekend. I cut it friday morning. Roughed it out and by friday night had a bow. I hu g it on a spit over a wide campfire while cooking marshmallows on sticks. That night I let it sit over the fires coals till morning. I finish tillered it that afternoon and tempered the belly. The bow took very little set and shot very well. It was short, 50 something inches 40@25". I added siyas and overdrew it caused it to break months later. Was upset and will try that again.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others