Author Topic: music in the bowyers workshop  (Read 18430 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: music in the bowyers workshop
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2015, 01:37:02 pm »
Classic rock. I listen to all sorts of music. I have seen quite a few different artists in concert, from Charlie Daniels to Snoop Dogg. Classic rock relaxes me. All of my power I'm my shop is switched, so I flip the switch and the radio comes on. 
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

mikekeswick

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 03:02:54 am »
I listen to the voices in my head........ >:D

mikekeswick

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2015, 03:05:35 am »
Or The Symphony of the New World , Antonin Dvorak

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2015, 12:23:22 pm »
I know a writer that cannot work without a metronome keeping time on her desk.  She changes the tempo of the metronome as she changes the tension in what she is writing.

She says it also keeps telling her time is slipping away and she has deadlines to keep.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2015, 01:05:14 pm »
That line in Kipling's "If" always spurs me on.
"If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run, "

Do you like Kipling?
Can't say I've ever Kippled :laugh:

Do you like Dickens?
Can't say I've ever been to one :o

Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bubby

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2015, 01:19:21 pm »
Home made blues band is good listening too
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2015, 03:36:01 pm »
My second favorite thing to do besides make bows is play guitar and I usually have a playlist of songs I'm working on in the background as I work. SRV, 38 Special, ZZ Top, Molly Hatchet, Skynyrd, Kenny Wayne Shepard, and the like.... or maybe some fingerpicking old country blues if I'm in an acoustic mood. Yep, I like music while I work.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2015, 07:30:18 pm »
As Daddy said, "variety is the spice of life." Particularly true for me when it comes to music.  Enjoy it  all ... except much of today's Country.  So anything from Classical to Hard Rock is gonna be heard in my garage.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2015, 09:00:49 pm »
Yea I love anything alice in chains, pantera, pearl jam,lynryd skynyrd while I'm working. I love music a lot more than the average person tho.
I like osage

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2015, 09:14:01 pm »
I like listening to music when I'm listening to music. Always thought it was odd when people could basically not function at anything else unless they had music powering them along.

There's a few different types of music listeners I like to think. There's people who don't really like music, there's people who just listen to what comes on the radio or a wide range of random music but don't really get that deep into the music and then there's hardcore music fans who love music more than a normal person could ever like it. I'm one of those people who likes to have music that I like playing when I'm doing anything. I just love music more than I can describe.
I like osage

Offline bubby

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2015, 09:50:58 pm »
Joe some people just can't multitask lol, takes all kinds to make a tribe don't it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2015, 10:14:25 pm »
I prefer instrumentals, generally Celtic or guitar.  Older rock or reggae work too.  Current country is hard to tolerate in the shop, but sometimes it's on too...

OneBow

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2015, 07:23:44 am »
I used to work with a guy that said to him music was just white noise and meant nothing to him. He couldn't name a single artist or song title. Weird.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2015, 08:09:03 am »
I like listening to music when I'm listening to music. Always thought it was odd when people could basically not function at anything else unless they had music powering them along.

I understand what you mean Pat.  I find it very odd to see people jogging by here in the country with headphones on, I would sort of understand if it was in the city.  They don't seem to care to listen to the music of nature

Having music covering up any sounds that a bow may be trying to tell me as I'm working on it just doesn't seem to make sense to me.  I do occasionally listen to music in my shop though, when I'm doing something that doesn't require me to use my ears for something else
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline WillS

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2015, 09:01:56 am »
I'm a musician as a career, so having music on when I'm doing anything from making bows to cooking is second nature to me.

Primarily, it's because I take in far more of a piece of music subconsciously than if I were to deliberately listen to it.  I can put on a piece I'm trying to learn, or need to teach somebody and sit there for an hour and I won't be able to analyse it properly.  If it's on in the background while I'm working on a bow etc, for some reason it just seems to log properly and I know the structure and details by the time I stop working.