Author Topic: Arrows taking set while spining  (Read 3104 times)

Offline DC

Arrows taking set while spining
« on: June 02, 2015, 11:11:53 pm »
Have you found that an arrow will take a permanent bend from hanging the 2# weight on it? I'm using bamboo and making arrows in the 30-40# range. Now that I'm typing this I'm wondering if I was spining it to soon after straightening.( Arrow still has some heat in it) Anyway, has anyone had this happen.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrows taking set while spining
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 11:38:04 pm »
I always wait until the next day before stressing(hanging a 2# weight) cane arrows after heating them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 11:54:08 pm »
I dont like to leave the weight on there that long, especially with lower spined shafts

Offline jayman448

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 12:14:18 am »
I had a rose arrow do this to me after a few moments on a professional spline tester. The darn thing read zero... but sge shoots great out of a 25# bow xD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 08:22:43 am »
Are you sure the cane you used was mature?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 03:28:52 pm »
I just use garden center boo. I'm assuming it's dry.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 03:35:35 pm »
Must have been the heat. Let them cool over night, or for 4 or 5 hours before testing them. I've never seen dried cane take set unless heat or immaturity was involved.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 04:37:52 pm »
I was noticing today how tempting it is to run over and check the spine right after straightening. That was probably my problem. Patience grasshopper ;) ;) You'd think at 68 I would have some of that. Nope! I've only got 20 or 30 years left, gotta squeeze in as much stuff as I can :D :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 06:01:50 pm »
I'm not far behind you. ;)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 09:16:49 pm »
Must have been the heat. Let them cool over night, or for 4 or 5 hours before testing them. I've never seen dried cane take set unless heat or immaturity was involved.

I think as Pat does on the set,  only time I have had this happen is with immature cane...then it would just bend easy and stay bent.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 11:54:31 pm »
I'm thinking this isn't the first time I've hit this. Is there a way to tell immature boo or cane before I make an arrow with it? Assuming of course that I have no idea when or where it was cut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 12:01:24 am »
Dried immature canes would have longitudinal wrinkles and would be very flimsy. I doubt the suppliers of the plant stakes would want or sell immature canes either.