Author Topic: More string alignment  (Read 2638 times)

Offline DC

More string alignment
« on: May 22, 2015, 01:47:20 pm »
Would this be a good way to check alignment? The bow is hanging by the string and the makeshift plumb bob is hanging on the string. In this case the string is a little to the right. You have to allow for the string thickness.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: More string alignment
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 02:00:08 pm »
Yes!  ;D
Me sir, me sir! I dun it first ::)
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/maple-finished-hazel-bark-on-bow.html
You can see I have it suspended, hanging at about 45 degrees supported on a nail, with a tiny sliver of wood notched onto the string to stop it just sliding off. A plumb bob alongside gives a reference.
Del  :laugh:
(gotta make sure that's not a lefthand thread nut you are using... unless of course you are in the Southern Hemisphere ::) >:D )
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 02:07:12 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Green

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 02:02:26 pm »
So hanging the bow by a string, or supported at the tips gives the truest applicable readings?

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 02:05:55 pm »
So hanging the bow by a string, or supported at the tips gives the truest applicable readings?
Well it's better than nothing, but it's only any good if the limbs pull back true, but then how they pull is related to their mass (and cross section, which will again affect the mass/centre of gravity) so it's in the right ball park.
Bottom line... if it feels right and looks right... it is right :laugh:
Del

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 02:45:34 pm »
That's an interesting method.  I usually just nock an arrow and pay attention to the angle it lays alongside the handle throughout the draw.  For a right hand bow, if the arrow is only touching the handle at the front of the handle, I know the string is tracking left of the handle.  If its only touching the extreme back of the handle, I know the string is tracking to the right.  You have to figure in arrow pass variations, no cut out, centershot or what have you, but it works out pretty good for me anyway.  Josh

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 03:54:26 pm »
Yes!  ;D
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/maple-finished-hazel-bark-on-bow.html
You can see I have it suspended, hanging at about 45 degrees supported on a nail, with a tiny sliver of wood notched onto the string to stop it just sliding off. A plumb bob alongside gives a reference.
(gotta make sure that's not a lefthand thread nut you are using... unless of course you are in the Southern Hemisphere ::) >:D )

Any reason you hung it at 45 degrees? (Why is there no degrees button?) ??? ??? ???

Offline Green

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 04:52:50 pm »
That's an interesting method.  I usually just nock an arrow and pay attention to the angle it lays alongside the handle throughout the draw.  For a right hand bow, if the arrow is only touching the handle at the front of the handle, I know the string is tracking left of the handle.  If its only touching the extreme back of the handle, I know the string is tracking to the right.  You have to figure in arrow pass variations, no cut out, centershot or what have you, but it works out pretty good for me anyway.  Josh

This helps a lot!  Thank You and Del both for sharing the wisdom.  This gives a good visual way to evaluate what's going on as the string tracks back.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 05:34:29 pm »
Yes!  ;D

Any reason you hung it at 45 degrees? (Why is there no degrees button?) ??? ??? ???
Well it was as vertical as I could get it... it's so I could see the alignment along the whole bow rather than just at the grip.
Del

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 05:54:18 pm »
Gotcha :D