Author Topic: Chrysalis showing  (Read 2376 times)

Offline bow101

Chrysalis showing
« on: May 29, 2015, 07:04:02 pm »
I thought maybe 3rd. time lucky. ::)   Just finished up another Franken bow, built from 2 others that broke.  The chrysalis is showing on the belly in a couple spots although small.  The lam on the belly is cherry; the back lam is maple;  last time I use cherry on the belly.  Can it be fixed or is it a right off.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Chrysalis showing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 07:44:39 pm »
You could remove the belly or grind it down and add a more compression strong belly wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 08:55:36 pm »
 What type of Butterfly?  O:)

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 10:00:52 pm »
You could remove the belly or grind it down and add a more compression strong belly wood.
  The bow has been shot over 100 times.  I left it strung for laughs over 2 hours and it took quite a bit of extra set.  Not sure if its worth saving.  It is highly stressed at only 60" NTN and only 23" of working limb.

I will give it a try Pat after all nothing to loose.  It has sentimental value as parts of are from the first bow I built. I must save 'er.  ;D

What type of Butterfly?  O:)
....?   
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:49:10 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Thunder

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:17:36 pm »
A chrysalis is a butterfly pupa.  :o
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 01:28:38 am »
Cherry is a tricky wood. Try using maple on the belly.
If you give it the right conditions the belly may transform into something beautiful. >:D