Author Topic: how often do yall have one go boom?  (Read 8231 times)

Offline Oakenshield

Re: how often do yall have one go boom?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2015, 06:54:04 pm »
I never could have guessed how explosive the experience actually is. I figured maybe some fair warning in the way of splinters or something. I made a yew bow few weeks ago that violently exploded on both sides of the handle at the same time; It happens quick and with furry. I saw the hinges but I shot it at least 50 times, figured they weren't horrible, and the yew should take it at such low poundage. I was wrong.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 07:04:10 pm by Oakenshield »
College Student, Fly Fisherman, New Bowyer, and proud Army Veteran.

A-Troop, 1/75 Cavalry, 2nd Brigade, 101 Airbourne

Offline Sparky Buckwheat

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 08:13:13 pm »
I have tried to make 18 bows and have had 6 explosions.  Two kids bows, two r/ d attempts and two adult longbows.  I have learned more from the broken ones than from the successes.  I have had two explode in my hands as I was drawing them. At least they tend to explode outwards ( or upwards if they are on the tiller tree). I have found that the past failures add to the thrill of finishing a bow and having it shoot.

EDIT:  I also have two staves that are questionable I am working on right now - one I have had to use some "forbidden material" on to try to save it as it has a SEVERE grain violation.  Even with my attempt to save it it may not make it, but I'll try (and learn) anyways.  The second has a huge hinge due to my lack of care on the belt sander (lesson: dont use a belt sander for tillering).  I dont expect it to survive.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 02:03:47 am by Sparky Buckwheat »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2015, 09:26:24 pm »
I've broken my share and then some. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Drewster

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 10:03:15 pm »
I have two bows out of fifteen that would break if I were to keep shooting them.  One developed chrysals and is getting worse, so I retired it.  The other had a defect in the wood but I was hoping it would hold together.  It'll blow too if someone continues to shoot it.  Another bowyer had rejected the stave and I figured I would gamble and give it a go.  Guess that's not too bad of a record so far.

And yes, I learn a LOT more from my failures too.  Expensive lessons sometime, but valuable.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 10:25:52 pm »
Ive attempted about 20 bows and have 12 still shooting.  Ive only had 2 blow up but ive had belly checks develop after final tiller, severely hinged limbs, cracked backs during tillering, lifted splinters during layout, man all kinds of failures!

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 02:02:19 am »
I have probaly 1 or 2 out of 10 fail. Not all in A spectacular fasion but lift a spinter or somthing too. I like to push the boundries and get a fast smooth bow bow sometimes push it too far. The last tri lam was purely a bad design, I tried one with no deflex and it concentrated too much stress in one area.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2015, 08:13:51 am »
I've had a few over the years
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 09:19:40 am »
Like Del said, none for a while then 2 or 3 in a row, usually flawed wood, or as Badger said using border line bow wood , something with lots of character, I use to do that a lot, not so much anymore.  :) I usually make a Minnie bow if the wood is questionable now and if it takes the bend test most time I don't have any problems, if it don't I cook brats with it. ;) :) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2015, 10:33:34 am »
I think if you don't break one once in a while somethings wrong if you push design or try something new it happens, but don't push yourself you stagnate
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 12:40:48 pm »
It's pretty rare to break a bow unless the wood is flawed or you aren't being patient. Sometimes even if neither one of those occur it still blows up lol  :P
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2015, 12:57:58 pm »
Blown bows at various stages ruined my shot. I can't convince myself to fully draw a bow anymore.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2015, 05:28:28 am »
Ya me also Chris, I still blame my short draw problem on trying to make my first bows out of ERC and didn't know what I was doing to boot, 25 or 30 years ago but still haunts me from time to time.  :-\
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2015, 09:13:55 am »
About 1 in 3 of my bows eventually fail. I'm in the rookie end of the bowyer's spectrum but occasionally produce bows I'm very satisfied with (in terms of performance & speed).

Most of my breaks are due to inexperience with the wood species and the limits of a particular bow design, pushing the limits (and ofthen rediscovering limits others bumped on way back) and outright stupidity (when you hear a tic at full draw, you should stop and back the bow instead of wondering if you'll hear another one at the next full draw  :o)

When I break a bow, I do an autopsy: why did it fail and how can I avoid it next time? As long as I can learn a lesson from every broken bow, i don't feel too bad about it.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:20:23 pm by joachimM »

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2015, 09:45:06 am »
I thought I had my first exploder on Sunday. My latest takedown. The top limb wasn't set in the sleeve, it slipped out at 27 inches on the tree.  >:D
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline sleek

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2015, 10:28:40 am »
I thought I had my first exploder on Sunday. My latest takedown. The top limb wasn't set in the sleeve, it slipped out at 27 inches on the tree.  >:D

!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others