Author Topic: reed arrow shafts?  (Read 6184 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
reed arrow shafts?
« on: May 23, 2015, 12:06:54 am »
This may be a completely ridicules question but im not ready good at arrows yet.  I found this stuff growing all over my area and wondered if they would make good arrows.  I can get cane but this stuff is much more accessible. Its just started sprouting. I would appreciate any feedback on this. I live in southern Oklahoma and this all grows in creek beds and along the road side.  Thanks in advance.  Timothy
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Josh B

Re: reed arrow shafts?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 10:13:23 am »
Its hard to tell from the pics, but that looks like giant reed.  I believe Jackcrafty uses it for arrows now and then.  I use it for atlatl darts.  It's pretty common in Oklahoma that's for sure.  If it's the smaller stuff (phragmites australus(sp?)) It will make arrows as well.   However the phragmites is very thin walled and lightweight material.  If its the smaller stuff, I have a build a long in the how to section on making arrows from it.  If its the bigger heavier walled material, then Jackcrafty has a build along in the how to section.  I hope that helps.  Josh

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:17:56 am »
Its hard to tell from the pics, but that looks like giant reed.  I believe Jackcrafty uses it for arrows now and then.  I use it for atlatl darts.  It's pretty common in Oklahoma that's for sure.  If it's the smaller stuff (phragmites australus(sp?)) It will make arrows as well.   However the phragmites is very thin walled and lightweight material.  If its the smaller stuff, I have a build a long in the how to section on making arrows from it.  If its the bigger heavier walled material, then Jackcrafty has a build along in the how to section.  I hope that helps.  Josh

It is very large in diameter about 7/8"-1" at the base.  I will definitely check those build alongs.  When is the best time to harvest?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 03:58:26 am »
  Not sure but send me some ,2 year old grouth in 1/2 size. I'll see and if there any good I'll still try to make you a deal or something. I have lots of things. I don't exspect them for free.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 10:12:51 am »
That would definitely be giant reed.  I always cut it in the late fall to give it the entire growing season to mature.  I don't know if that's necessary with giant reed, but it certainly is with phragmites.   It goes dormant and dies back to the crown every year like most perennial grasses.  So you want to harvest within a week or two of the first frost because it deteriorates quickly.  I would pm Patrick(Jackcrafty) if you have any questions in regard to making arrows from it.  I've only used it for darts and flutes.  I don't know what part of OK that your in, but there is actual rivercane growing in places.  I've been raiding one patch down by Ardmore for several years.  I hope that helps.  Josh

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 10:39:30 am »
Im about 20 miles west of Ardmore in wilson. I know there is a lot in lonegrove but someone new moved into the property so ill have to get permission.  I know the area pretty well I've beenhere for about 25 years.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 11:17:23 am »
The patches I'm referring to are right along I-35 in the ditch on the east side of the road.  I can't remember if it's just south of the first or second Ardmore exit when you're northbound.   Beautiful area that you live in.  Josh