Author Topic: American round - results and bows  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
American round - results and bows
« on: May 27, 2015, 02:46:37 am »
American round is an old and famous competition. It has been shot for example at the 1904 summer olympics. An American round consists of five ends, six arrows each, so total 30 arrows at each of 60, 50, and 40 yard distances, which totals 90 arrows per one round.

So, an American round is:

30 arrows at 60 yards
30 arrows at 50 yards
30 arrows at 40 yards

Target is 122 cm (48”) FITA (nowadays WA) target face, scoring with colors: yellow 9, red 7, blue 5, black 3 and white 1. Maximum score is 810. Two American rounds and two York rounds, constituted the U.S. men’s championship until 1968, when other combinations of rounds were introduced. The first American round was shot in 1879 and was organized by US National Archery Association.

American round is very interesting competition because many famous archers have shot it. For example Howard Hill has shot 684 points. Ishi has shot 223 points. The world record with wooden bows (without sights, arrow rest, etc. gadgets) is 744 points, shot by Larry Hughes – but with aluminium arrows. Best wood bow and wood arrows score is 726, shot by Roger Hoogerhyde, in 1940.

Basic primitive shooter should score about 200-300 points. 300-400 points requires good bow and arrows and training. 400-500 points is good results and requires very good shooting. Back in the day, anything over 500 points was considered very good results.

Here in Finland we have shot the American round now nine times, with primitive bows and arrows. Rules are the same as once. The national record is 497. My best is 495…

As a long range target competition, a long, stable, smooth drawing, comfortable (40-45 #) bow is the “best” choice. The national record has shot with 72 # traditional longbow. Best short bow result (about 50”, sinew backed, over 60 #) is astonishing 437 points.

So, a question: Do you know any American round shot with primitive equipments? Using internet search I can find just modern equipment results but not any wood bow and wood arrow results. How about in US? Is there any primitive (traditional) American round competitions? Or anywhere else? Is it possible, that Finland’s American round is the only ongoing American round competition in the world? Hopefully not!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: American round - results and bows
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 06:43:58 am »
We use to shoot it years ago at a club in Nashville, haven't heard or thought of it in years, it was fun for sure. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 04:16:54 am »
No primitive target archers here? American round is nice and relatively easy round, with great historical backround. Only about 80 years ago it was very popular - just look result lists in Elmer's books! So, nobody is shooting it anymore, in US or Europe, with primitive equipments?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 05:31:16 am »
I truly don't know of any, like I said we use to shoot it but that has been 30+ years ago.
Takes quite a bit of room if I remember right and that may be why most don't do it anymore. In the US it is mostly 3d targets on a wooded course set at unknown distance but usually for Traditional/primitive shooter only about 30 yards give a take a few yards. Most archers in the states are more interested in hunting distance rather than long range shooting. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 12:55:46 pm »
That is something I have always thought I would like to try but I don't know of any places that still have it.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 04:24:59 pm »
Rather sounds like a very British occupation, but seems very fun nonetheless. (Not that I mean to say that British means boring  >:D). I might try to practice for something similar round here (Belgium, the country surrounding Brussels -the "capital" of Europe).

No lack of space to shoot, especially once the wheat is harvested and the hay is cut. I'll try to make myself a similar target, need a new one anyway.

Joachim