Author Topic: Her first harvest...truly primitive, too!  (Read 3683 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Her first harvest...truly primitive, too!
« on: May 25, 2015, 12:36:45 pm »
Although she has taken plenty of animals in the past including spiders, grasshoppers, and plenty of mice, this is her first kill on a game animal as defined by South Dakota law.

I missed out on it, as I was in the house soaking up coffee and desperately trying to remember my name, mornings suck. She had given off a series of yips and barks in the backyard in her usual good natured name calling reparte' that she and the squirrels indulge in daily.  But then things got quiet. 

Well, if you have kids or a dog with too much "play drive", silence is suspicious, very suspicious. I got up and checked out the window to see a grey lump between her paws.  I stepped out the door and she popped up with the mangled corpse in her jaws and a look of absolute pride in accomplishment displayed across her face.

Since the death was not accompanied with a credible witness, we had to empanel a coroner's inquest. An excerpt from the inquest follows:
ME: In your own words, what occurred?
LENA: I din't do nuffin'.
ME: This is not a trial, but simply an inquest to establish certain facts. We are not here to pass judgement or assign blame nor guilt.  Something happened, I just need to hear your side.
 LENA: Well, he fell down.
ME: Just fell?
LENA: Yeah, pretty much.
ME: And then...?
LENA: I, you know, just went over and checked on him.
ME: Please continue.
LENA: (warming up) His head popped off when I was giving mouff to mouff. Yeah, it popped off.
ME: Popped off?
LENA: Yeah, it sorta popped off on it's own, I dunno, it's a squirrel, they do funny stuff alla time.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

Re: Her first harvest...truly primitive, too!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 04:28:14 am »
VERY funny Jdub ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 11:38:52 am »
BHRC's redtail hawk and great horned owl were the recipient's of Lena's gift last night.  Though the redtail has never hunted in her life, both birds show a marked preference to wild food.  I am afraid the investigation has ground to a halt since all evidence is now badly degraded and rapidly becoming bird poop.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 12:08:18 pm »
Yeah!!!! Go lena go,atta girl ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 01:14:05 pm »
Love it!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 06:58:47 pm »
Lena is very reserved, not unusual for a dog rescued from the reservation.  She usually takes a half dozen visits with a person before she will tolerate being handled by them, much less coming to them when called.

Ten minutes after coming thru the door, soy all but owned Lena, heart and soul.  She trusted him implicitly from the get-go. 

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 07:32:44 pm »
I here-by formally apply for the position of Lena's first counsel and bodyguard. I wish for her to maintain her position of plausible deny-ability, because them squirrels do funny stuff alla time dont ya know 8)
rich

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 07:47:23 pm »
Wouldn't you know, apply a little pressure and she lawyers up!

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 11:18:41 pm »
She is looking particularly innocent!

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 12:14:16 pm »
John, I like the way she shared her catch with you. That is a good sign of trust and relationship.  8)
Rescues know who loves them and usually become good friends.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 04:28:59 pm »
Gave me quite a good laugh. Thanks for the funny story. My dogs mostly bring in rats and when the chickens or ducks escape, well, the'tre all too often done for.