Author Topic: Silk backed Cordage Backed Bow  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Jax666

Silk backed Cordage Backed Bow
« on: May 26, 2015, 08:02:04 pm »
In one of the TBB's I saw a picture of a silk cordage bamboo bow and now I cannot find it. I know Dick Baugh made A Cordage Backed Bow
by using nylon cord. I have wondered about kevlar or high test braided fishing line. I have too many projects to start another so this is just a what if question?

Offline alwayslookin

Re: Silk backed Cordage Backed Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 08:10:26 pm »
The braided fishing line is something I use a lot when I fish and it has no stretch. I think the silk stretches some which is what you want at least from my understanding of it. I could be completely wrong. The fishing line doesn't stretch at all though. Mono fishing line stretches alot.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 09:54:45 pm »
The idea I to have some stretch. Even those no stretch fishing lines do stretch somewhat. You'd have to drop the strand count or poundage of test to find the right balance.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 11:44:19 pm »
I think silk has stretch and some spring back is why it is used, I don't know if those materials stretch and return but if nylon would work then I suppose those materials would work.  If you google silk roving you get a material that you could make cordage of to get what you need.  I'll be watching this, sounds interesting!

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 01:58:52 am »
What about tennis racquet string? Natural cow gut string has the most elasticity when compared to synthetic tennis string. The synthetics include nylon, poly/kevlar mix, and  mono filament.

I would say sinew would have even more elasticity than cow gut. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Jax666

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 07:21:52 am »
If I remember correctly, the silk was pre-stretched and the stretch came from the twist. I wish I could find the picture in the TBB. Silk and boo would be a natural together. With a silk bow string too.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 08:29:24 am »
TBB1 p 110 is probably what you're looking for.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 08:48:20 am »
A few years back I made an Aleut style flat bow and used artificial sinew for the cordage, 8 strands I believe. The cordage added several pounds. After several hundred shots a crack developed coming off the handle. It was a worthwhile project.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Jax666

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 07:22:52 am »
TBB1 p 110 is probably what you're looking for.
That is it! Thanks!