Author Topic: Reflexing yew?  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Reflexing yew?
« on: May 27, 2015, 01:26:49 pm »
So I steamed and straightened the piece of yew I'm trying to get sinewed. I wanna give it a angular bow profile. So I wanna reflex the limbs to get them out I front of the handle, hoping the sinew will peel em back more. I was thinking of using steam. The bow is 48" long and I figured on just steaming a whole limb at a time and putting into my form. What say ya?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Reflexing yew?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 02:19:04 pm »
Bruce, I believe you can use dry heat on yew also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 02:36:45 pm »
My heat gun took a dump. So steam is gonna have to do it. It's getting sinewed so it will take in some moisture from that n e who. I straightened it and man it bent like butter after steaming. I plan on re using a sinew backing from another bow. So I wanna get this bow sinewed and drying while I finish my trade bow and some other projects. I gotta wait for it to dry anyway. So I might as well get that process going

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 03:55:55 pm »
I have had issues with yew keeping any reflex that I give it when I use steam.  I have found that if you heat treat the belly a few day after steaming, that 'sets' in the reflex.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 01:15:08 am »
I have had issues with yew keeping any reflex that I give it when I use steam.  I have found that if you heat treat the belly a few day after steaming, that 'sets' in the reflex.

What he said. Though I've done it shortly after for the same effect without problem.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 11:30:35 am »
So I got it reflexed, gotta straighten one limb a little more and then deflex the handle. How much deflex should I go for? Suggestions? What yall think so far?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 12:25:30 pm »
Is the stave to floor tiller thickness? It will bend much better and hold much better if it is. As stated, I've had best luck with steam, then dry heat to cook it in. Still, don't expect a lot to stay. If your going to deflex that handle Id go for more limb reflex. 
Man you sure got slot of bows on the go!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 01:51:22 pm »
Well I'm sinewing this, so I wanna use the sinew I got before my dog finds it again. And I gotta wait for it to dry. So I can finish some others while waiting