Author Topic: Fast flight fears  (Read 15080 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Fast flight fears
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 02:42:12 pm »
Why is that?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 02:48:23 pm »
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 03:09:24 pm »
Once again i use ff on self bows and bows with overlays if you reread the post you won't find many that don't use ff
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 06:17:00 pm »
This has come up so many times, just do a quick search.  People that build a lot of bows will eventually ditch B50 and go to a low stretch string. Because B50 is crap. My sinew strings have less stretch than a B50 string

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 06:59:06 am »
There is no problem with FF string period, some don't want to use it because they say it's not traditional, well unless you are using fiber or sinew it's all man made so why not use the best. IMO. I used B50 for years and I had no problem with it but ff works much better for me. All you have to do is try it, some really hard headed folks may say they don't see the difference /advantage/or need, I understand the need part to each their own but don't tell me it ant Traditional/primitive or old school enough. Lots of thing we are doing now with self bows aren't old school. Grips and tip are prime examples.  ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Green

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 08:30:42 am »
Based on Pearl Drums recommendation, I built a 14 strand D10 string, and padded the loops to 18.  Maybe unnecessary, but as it's my first Osage self bow, and first time using FF on such, I erred on the side of caution.  14 strands of D10 served with .024 62xs just gives me good nock fit for 5/16" Bohning nocks on a tapered shaft.

At this point, I have approx. 300 shots with this string and after examining the nocks with magnifiers, I can honestly say....not a single issue, well except for the increased performance, decreased noise, vibration, and hand shock!  Use with confidence as those with waaaaayyy more experience have said above.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 12:16:32 pm »
There is no problem with FF string period, some don't want to use it because they say it's not traditional, well unless you are using fiber or sinew it's all man made so why not use the best. IMO.

This really encompasses my feelings on the matter.

Synthetic strings aren't "traditional" by any standard that makes sense to me. So if you're going to go modern, use the modern string that offers you the most.

Until I start making high quality animal or plant fiber strings, I'll keep using some kind of HMPE string material.

Offline bubby

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 12:23:04 pm »
Synthetic strings are traditional, they are not primitive

Offline rps3

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2015, 01:33:08 pm »
I tried using up my b50 on bows I was just giving away after switching to fastflight, but I cant even do that. In my mind at least ,ff makes a trmendous difference in performance, and I have not had any problems yet.  All my bows get overlays. 10 strand, no extra padding. 50-60# bows.

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 02:51:45 pm »
I'm NOT against ff. The problem is, I have 7 different spools/colors of b50. Does anyone have a cheap source for me to switch over and not have wallet agony over leaving behind the stuff I've bought (which seems to work fine)?
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 03:52:11 pm »
I'm NOT against ff. The problem is, I have 7 different spools/colors of b50. Does anyone have a cheap source for me to switch over and not have wallet agony over leaving behind the stuff I've bought (which seems to work fine)?

That's a tough one. Buying a spool of D97 and making that first FF string converted me for life but if I'd already downed a hundred bucks on something else I don't know what I'd do.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline bubby

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 03:55:11 pm »
Sell the b-50 on ebay ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 03:56:10 pm »
Make a whole shipload of strings and sell them on e-bay ;)

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2015, 03:56:45 pm »
Great minds

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 03:58:35 pm »
7 spools of rubber band is worth about $3. Just pitch it and start anew :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.