Author Topic: Fast flight fears  (Read 15132 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: Fast flight fears
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2015, 07:37:21 pm »
huisme I'd like to see some of your BL bows.  Hopefully in the future I'll make one, heck the BL trees are right in front of me.     8)

I only photograph them every so often or when requested, so here's all of those in albums: http://huisme.imgur.com/

You'll notice they're mostly mollegabets ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline bow101

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2015, 01:49:05 am »
Some cool bows huisme you can sure make them short.   BL resembles Osage  like Grain texture and color.  I dont think its as dense.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2015, 02:18:00 am »
Some cool bows huisme you can sure make them short.   BL resembles Osage  like Grain texture and color.  I dont think its as dense.

I like short. It pushes my ability to really get the most out of a stick.

Far less dense and its main drawback is that it's easier to break than osage, from flaws to impacts. Besides that it's stiffer, lighter, and easier to find in Washington ::)

My current impression (get your salt ready) is that optimized locust will outcast optimized osage by a few fps but the locust's chances of being damaged are greater and it's easier to under-build a locust bow so optimization (do it and call it how you will) is more risky. If I had one chance to make a bow from one perfect stave to use for the rest of my life I'd go for osage 'cause I'm no dummy. If I had five I'd go for locust ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2015, 11:18:11 am »
  I've used fast flight on my bows for 17,18 years. I still bow hunt with a fast flight when I have them.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING