Author Topic: War bow and arrow questions  (Read 11184 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: War bow and arrow questions
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 09:14:59 am »
Would standard overlays of buffalo horn work fine? I planned on making them extra beefy and adding a second set of grooves to brace the bow. Would you guys suggest Unibond 800 epoxy? Or, Loctite Professional CA glue?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline WillS

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 09:19:41 am »
CA glue, definitely.  Never had an issue with heavy bows and superglue. 

Don't make the horn nocks too big either - they can be absolutely tiny and still work fine.  I think Ian Coote's 175lb self yew has nocks smaller than 12mm.  You're using elm anyway, which at less than 100lb doesn't even need horn nocks!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 09:44:08 am »
Good to know, thanks Will. I just don't want any accidents if I can help prevent them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 11:23:30 am »
90 pounds eh? Soooo, you will be drawing this one to what...15" on the range? Hahaha

At least it should still have some ummph at your short draws with that weight  ::)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 03:17:33 pm »
That's mental strength getting me man, not physical strength. I know I can pull 80# no problem.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 03:28:56 pm »
Looking forward to seeing this 'un.  Good luck!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bowmo

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 05:17:19 pm »
You're right...an exploding 90 pound bow is way less scary than an exploding 50 pound one... haha  ;D

All teasing aside, I'm really looking forward to this one. I've always wanted to see a sexy elm longbow after reading how wych elm was used.

JacksonCash

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 06:14:02 pm »
I did grab contact info for that kid who was making bodkins on his forge at Marshall, I can forward it along to you if you are looking to get some points made up.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2015, 08:42:26 am »
Please do J Dog. Ill get a hold of him.

Stringman

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 09:22:22 am »
Ima watchin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 04:03:48 pm »
Best be shootin' it next time we bump into each other Scott.

Stringman

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 05:48:10 pm »
Heck yea! My shoulders ain't what they once was, but I'm still a purty big boy. I'll draw that granny stick!

Offline bubby

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 07:05:00 pm »
get used to that 30" draw and you might be able to get over that short draw syndrome you have
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 11:14:42 am »
Well I got this bow braced last weekend. The tiller needs a tweak and the alignment isn't right. So rather than trying to keep the natural shape, Im going to temper and reflex the bow some. I want to add some weight back and start with a better profile. Hopefully that leads to a heavier draw weight. Our best guess was I had about a 70-80# bow that needed tiller work. So we stopped. Hopefully in the next few weeks Ill find time to do some work to it and toss a string on it again.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 12:42:33 pm »
I remember that one, I was watching three guys try and brace it. After they failed I came over and braced it by myself  ;)