Author Topic: Wonky arrow  (Read 3514 times)

Offline DC

Wonky arrow
« on: June 03, 2015, 08:37:01 pm »
A while back, someone, PD I think, said that if an arrow is wonky try shooting it cock feather in. I've just made one that does this. Cock fletch out goes wonky, cock fletch in goes straight as an arrow so to speak. If I reverse the fletching will it go straight cock fletch out? It's also got a bit of a bend so I'll straighten that out first and try it.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Wonky arrow
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 08:43:02 pm »
yep...I'd straighten out the bend before I re-fletched it... :)
DBar
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:11:04 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 12:07:30 am »
Yes, reverse the fletching.  There is a great article in the newest PA Magazine(Jun/Jul 2015).by our member Ryan Gill.
 Generally if you put the stiff side of the shaft to the bow the arrows fly well but that's not always the case.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 12:18:56 am »
I bare shafted three arrows. Two of them showed a better side ie.- one way was a bit off but turned 180 degrees was great. No problem deciding where the cock fletch would go. The wonky one was the same both sides and it spined the same both sides. I was surprized. I thought this would be the best of the three. This is the second arrow I've had like this. I started a thread sometime last year about another wonky one. I still have it and it still shoots like crap. It would be nice to narrow down the problem a bit.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 12:23:25 am »
When you are working with natural materials you get a dud occasionally. I make flu flus out of wonky arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 08:32:26 pm »
 Straightening got rid of a bit of it but it was still a lot better cock fletch in. I reversed the fletching and it's good now. Of course removing the fletching messed up the stain so I had to sand, re-stain and clear coat before I could re-fletch.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 08:43:31 pm »
I agree DC that is why I like to bare shaft all my arrows before I fletch them.
DBar

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 08:48:25 pm »
I do too. This one flew fine until I put fletching on it. I actually saved the fletching and put it back on reversed. I use a jig so the fletching should be reasonably consistent. Like Pat said," some are just wonky"

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 08:51:41 pm »
Yep some just need to be shot into a 55 gallon drum ;D ;D ;D right OO??

Hope you can read the attachment.....it is how I make arrows.................
DBar

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 12:35:51 pm »
Thanks DB , interesting read. I'll try to do that although my points don't lend themselves to swapping out easily. I'll think on it.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 11:42:57 am »
 Has nothing to do with a feather. Your just turning the shaft to the stiffer side of the arrow. Or it might have to do with the arrows straightness.

But most likely it's the stiff side of the arrow turned the right way.

When your finished the shaft ready to start fletching always put the stiff side of your shaft towards the bow.

That way you start out with your shafts more alined. Next is weight very hard to get a matched set of self arrows. I don't even try any more. With a old slow self bow at 15 yards a few gains dos'nt matter.

Were not shooting a 300 FPS bow. Then gains do matter.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline cdpbrewer

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 03:51:52 pm »
For wood arrows, it's recommended that any grain runout  V’s are oriented upwards and towards the point end of the arrow so that if the arrow breaks it’s less likely to stick in ones bow arm or hand.   Doesn’t this trump the stiff side towards the bow wisdom?

c.d.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 04:13:28 pm »
That does trump using the stiff side of the arrow but on hardwood shoot arrows and cane you don't have those "flames".