Author Topic: Wrapping Fletching  (Read 3606 times)

Offline DC

Wrapping Fletching
« on: June 06, 2015, 08:44:33 pm »
I don't wrap the whole fletch, just the ends. What I have trouble with is starting the wrap. I can never get the first couple of wraps on. I watched Jackcrafty's videos and he just puts a dab of glue on the shaft, lays the end of the thread in it and starts wrapping. Might be my shakey hands but I can't get that to work. Any hints?

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Wrapping Fletching
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 09:09:09 pm »
My little trick is to put some glue down (usually loc tite) and lay about 3/8" of thread in it longwise (parallel with the shaft) and then pour a cup of coffee.  I walk away from it and let it set up for thirty seconds or so and then start wrapping over it.  Slow is better with arrow making.   :)  I used to hurry like a maniac gorilla, but then you end up with a big fat quiver with a hundred arrows that ALL SUCK.  Take your time and get into some sort of peaceful zen like place and try to make one perfect arrow at a time.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 09:35:28 pm »
I tried a drop of CA and it works, sometimes. Usually I get too much and then the thread glues itself to me fingers. Then it goes downhill from there. I don't think I have the patience to go do something else while the glue dries. The wrap at the front of the fletch gives me the most trouble because I can't hold it and wrap at the same time without the thread hanging up in the fletching.

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 11:42:41 pm »
Coming in with a background of wrapping fishing poles I have to admit that this is something that doesn't give me any troubles. But I'm danged if I can figure out how to type instructions on doing it :-[

Guy

Offline unkieford

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 01:49:51 am »
I use the dab of CA glue, but what really helps for me, is to start the wrap with a girth hitch. The short end winds up glued under the longer part of the wrap, and disappears entirely. The girth hitch helps the string (I use silk) really grab on to the shaft, and keeps it from slipping for those first few wraps.

---Ford---

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 11:00:33 am »
I generally wrap for and aft on the fletching and sometimes add a small strip(about1") of fletch tape in the middle of each feather to hold it to the shaft.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 12:11:17 pm »
I found a way! If I wipe a little carpenters glue on about 2" of the end of the thread it gives it enough stickiness to get started. It's not perfect but it helps.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 12:37:01 pm »
I start the wrap by going over the end of the thread(sinew)with a few wraps and end it by tucking it under the last few wraps(like a nail knot). With sinew, I chew the sinew until it is soft, make the wrap and lay the tag end flat on the wrap. The chewed sinew makes its own glue and once dry I seal the wrap. I use pitch varnish to seal the wraps but TBIII, Duco Cement or other sealer will work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 02:35:11 pm »
It was sinew that got me on to putting glue on the thread. I was wrapping an arrow with chewed up sinew and wishing that thread would start as easily as sinew. Well, you don't have to wack me upside the head to many times, "Make the thread sticky, stupid!"