Author Topic: Congratulations to Bryce (Pinecone)) for winning January Self BOM!!!!  (Read 5101 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Bryce Ott (Bryce (Pinecone)) from St. Helens, Oregon won the January Self Bow of the Month contest with his Pacific Yew Character Flatbow. When I look at the picutures of this bow, the word enigma comes to mind. I can’t imagine picking this wavy piece of wood up with the prospect of turning it into a bow.  El Mar Pacifico, as the Pacific Ocean was named hundreds of years ago due to the windless span of calm ocean now bears part of this bows name.  However, paradox is another word that comes to mind.  There is nothing “Pacifico” about this wavy and rolling bow. Congratulations Bryce for winning the January Self Bow of the Month contest and taming the untamable stave!!!!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,49699.0.html

Bryce gives us a glimps into the task in turning a wicked piece of wood into an award winning bow:  this one was a little fun to make. im not sure why i picked up this stave but i did 
i know the top limb has the worst of the knots, but the bottom limb where i needed it to bend a little more for a slightly better tiller just wasnt gonna have it:( ive shot this one alot and im not sure how i feel about the way it shoots. the arrows that come out are like little missiles. but its the feeling in the hand im not in love with. im not sure what ill do with it. i will continue to shoot it. maybe she just needs to be broken in a little more   the rings on the back are highly violated, the sapwood rings are paper thin but the heart wood was not. much have had a few good growing years. but nonetheless dense, and dark. 63"NTN, 60#@28", goat horn overlays, elk hide handle
strunk lace pattern. 
The words paradox and enigma are not used by Primitive Archer Forum members, but they describe the words in their comments:
 Fantastic work....beautiful bow..............bet that was a roller coaster ride building that one..     Amazing work. DBar
That is a stunning bow Bryce. That is an impressively great looking bend, that is quite the feat of bowyery given the nature of that sexy piece of wood.  I think that beast just wants a heavy arrow 
YUP,BOW OF THE YEAR...that is great work..i really love how you dished out some of the hump areas...just do me one favor...dont ever stop making bows...PLEASE...john
Bryce, I don't know what I could say that would be better than all of the post before me. But if I could find the words I would.

That is totally amazing! And an absolute inspiration to me! I think I should quite  complaining about all the crooked staves I have and just let some shavings fly! Well done bud, WELL DONE! Patrick
Wow that is stunning.... Sorta bow that you can pick up an fiddle with, maybe a few years down the line you'll tweak it and tune it and fall in love with it... or maybe not. Boy oh boy is that a show piece.... maybe a lookin' at bow not a huntin' bow. But who cares... I've drooled all over the keyboard now...   Del

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 04:41:42 pm by criveraville »
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline portlandfire

Re: Congratulations to Bryce (Pinecone)) for winning January Self BOM!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 05:28:56 pm »
      Congratulations.  Without a doubt, the "most deserved" selfbow of the month...going to be tough to beat at the end of the year.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 05:44:45 pm »
Dispite all the things you dont like about it Bryce...this is one hell of a bow! And it is a much deserved win! My hat is off to ya Bro.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 02:30:51 am »
Oh wow thank you guys!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PeteC

That's a beautiful bow Bryce. Great job. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
 8)
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.