Author Topic: Sidenocks  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Lucasade

Sidenocks
« on: June 08, 2015, 03:00:35 pm »
Does anyone know if there is a 'correct' side to put the nocks on? Or failing that were most of the Mary Rose bows nocked the same way and if so which?

Presumably for a shooting off the left hand it would be sensible to have the top nock on the left and the bottom on the right (looking at the bow as you draw it). I've seen the various geometric proofs that it won't appreciably change the amount of paradox required but it would be nice to be consistent with historical practice.

Thank you in advance as always.

Offline WillS

Re: Sidenocks
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 04:14:58 pm »
Right hand side if you're looking at the back of the bow.

Left hand side, if you're holding the bow to shoot. 

Don't forget to make the lip, otherwise the horn will split at brace height!

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 05:09:45 pm »
Thank you - first to get them will be a 5-10lb lilac bow for my 3 year old so horn hopefully won't be necessary  ::)

But I had already heeded all the warnings about the lip.

Don't know if the hazel will get horn or just overlays yet - I'll see what weight it comes out!

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 06:43:19 pm »
Hazel won't need horn until you're about 110# or so.  Especially if you use sidenocks, as you're not even cutting into the back of the bow.

Good luck!

Offline Micke D

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 01:35:04 am »
Will, what do mean with:'Don't forget to make the LIP, otherwise the horn will split at brace height!'?

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 02:12:04 am »
Micke - he means you cut the nock in at a downward angle so that you end up with some material on both sides of the string. There's a thread a page back (pros and cons of side nocks, started by thedukesarchers) that has links to almost all the material that has been published on the subject and explains it much better than I just have.

Will - good to know about the hazel, I'm aiming for 70-80lb so that will save me some work and money.