Author Topic: reducing spine?  (Read 4837 times)

Offline thomas74p

Re: reducing spine?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 10:42:17 am »
pat-b the shafts are surewood tapered shafts. real nice stuff. can't let these just sit and be over spined. I shouldn't have bought such a heavy shaft. but live and learn huh!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 12:15:31 pm »
 I don't know about Surewood shafts but with other commercial wood shafting the spine is for a 28" arrow with a 125 point up front.
 Again, for each inch under 28" the arrow will fly like a shaft that is 5# heavier per inch.
You may want to contact Surewood to see how cutting the shaft affects the spine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline thomas74p

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 03:37:32 pm »
he asks what length you want and he cuts em for you. I'm assuming he knows what all you said and uses a slightly lower spined shaft for mine since he knows he is cutting them a bit short. I guess I'm a noob when it comes to all the finer details of archery and certainly a noob when it comes to tuning arrows, but his shafts sure seem nice to me.

my idea is to find the center of the shaft by balancing the arrow on my finger and scrape and sand 4 inches in front and 4 inches behind that spot. how does that sound?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 04:57:21 pm »
I'd do it in the physical center of the shaft and not the balanced center.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline thomas74p

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 09:31:45 am »
thanks Pat. I was thinking about that last night while slicing my feathers off. started thinking that idea sounded wrong. I knew you or someone would set me straight. I'm starting to learn to ask first before doing something new.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 10:58:24 pm »
Usually with this simple archery it doesn't necessarily pay to over think things. The K.I.S.S. rule rules.   ;)

Offline thomas74p

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2015, 04:11:21 pm »
I tried the bare-shaft tuning method this week and sanded the center of the shafts untill each one struck the target perfectly straight on several occasions. some needed to be shot upside down from what they originally were. but in the end I now have all 12 sinking perfectly straight. just got to re-stain the shafts and do a little painting and water sealing then re-fletch and I will take em for a test ride. I'll post up how they do at the range.
for those who have not done this before, I didn't sand very much off. they only dropped about 10-15 grains in weight. so if you try it, don't sand too much and shot each one several times in between sanding so you don't go too much. luckily I didn't screw this one up. of course I haven't shot the final product yet either ;)

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 09:31:10 pm »
Would the sanding the middle method also work on bamboo 'mater stakes?
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2015, 10:58:13 pm »
I think scraping is the preferred method for cane.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 07:42:00 am »
I scrape them lightly for fine tuning but usually just try and leave them longer. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good