Author Topic: Elm Hall 2015  (Read 36671 times)

Offline paulsemp

Re: Elm Hall 2015
« Reply #135 on: August 03, 2015, 09:06:11 am »
Also wanted to add probably the most rewarding thing I did up there was built my first two friction fires. Tony aka naked feet was kind enough to bring all of his fire making stuff up and gave a whole bunch of us a nice tutorial. For a couple hours about 10 of us took turns building hand drill fires and bow drill fires. One of the coolest things I've done in a long time thanks Tony

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #136 on: August 03, 2015, 09:12:09 am »
This years Elm Hall shoot was a blast, thanks to all the club members. Real nice breezy weather, tasty food,
and the campfire visits were a riot. Good to see so many friends again while doing what we enjoy most.
You guys laid out a couple of nice courses as well, had a great time shooting through those multiple times with the wife and grandson. The kids events on saturday were very thoughtful and Nate was thrilled to win a club hat to wear around.
Also a thanks to Mike, (owlbait) for giving Nate some nicely made arrows. Soon as we got home he laid 'em out on the dining room table to look over and admire the colors.
I only took about 3 pics. and they were of the full moon and night sky from our view at the campfire, wish I had had the camera out during the day but was having to good a time to think of it.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #137 on: August 03, 2015, 09:20:07 am »
I didn't touch my phone/camera for 3 1/2 days. Still has the same battery charge, so no pics here. My personal highlight of the weekend, except seeing all my buddies, was the fire starting. Barefoot Tony set us all up and had us making true blue friction fires in minutes. THANK YOU Tony for showing us/me. Its been a personal goal of mine for a very long time. Its was liberating to say the least.

The longer I know these guys I call my friends the harder it gets to pack up and leave. Here's to Grayling 2015 all ye' deer slayers!

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Otis

« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2015, 10:01:32 am »
Had great time. Thanks to Rocky, Kevin, Matt, Tony, Chris, Steve and all the Elm Hall crew for a great weekend.  Got to see some old friends and made some new ones too.  The weather was
very nice and the lack of bugs was a plus.  The food was awesome as usual.  We do eat good when we camp, that's for sure.  The camp fire picking was probably my favorite thing.  Hope everyone
made it home safely.

David

Offline Rocky

« Reply #139 on: August 03, 2015, 01:18:06 pm »
Thanks guys. We really do appreciate the support and we'll look forward to next year!

Rocky

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2015, 04:04:33 pm »
Looks and sounds like a good time was had by all,  Sure would like to make this one next year....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2015, 04:06:46 pm »
You woulda' been proud Bill. I made us all breakfast in a Dutch oven, my first attempt at using one. This recipe was stupid easy, so it wasn't a big deal. Id like to do a cobbler or bread next time. Your name was brought up plenty when we talked Dutch ovens, your the master!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Rocky

« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2015, 04:11:43 pm »
Finally got to taste one of Ed's home brews last night, courtesy of Erik Traynor, winner of the case that Ed donated. Excellent beer Ed! Thanks again for the contribution!!

Rocky

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2015, 04:13:31 pm »
You woulda' been proud Bill. I made us all breakfast in a Dutch oven, my first attempt at using one. This recipe was stupid easy, so it wasn't a big deal. Id like to do a cobbler or bread next time. Your name was brought up plenty when we talked Dutch ovens, your the master!
Thanks Chris....
But not to bust your bubble, Dutch Oven cooking is easy that's why I can do it... :) ;).
Glad it worked out for ya....
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline RyanR

« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2015, 04:50:46 pm »
It was good to see all of you again. I really enjoyed the fire making session Friday night and I also enjoyed listening to music with the Tennessee guys. The courses were good and the meal Saturday was great. I wish I could have stayed a little longer.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2015, 10:20:11 pm »
Well, I've only been to three of these kinds of events, but this one was without a doubt the best. Bummed it had to end so soon!

Thanks to Ed for saving a camping spot for me, beer, some real good food, a couple of staves, good stories, and the hospitality.

Thanks to Greg and Sharon (and Nate) for lunch!

Thanks to the Chris and Chris, Paul, Ryan, Ed, Dan and Dan, Cody, Jake, and many others for letting me chat about archery/bow making, pick their brains while they worked, giving me someone to shoot the courses with multiple times, find arrows, jokes, snacks, stories, etc.

Thanks to Greg and Cody for helping me find a good tree, cut it down, cut it up, and carry it out of the woods.

Thanks to everyone at the club for putting on a great event with lots of fun stuff to do.

And thanks to all the guys who were interested in the primitive fire stuff. I thought I'd bring my stuff out, and being out of practice if I even could get a fire going I'd get some Oo's and Ah's and give some tips and that'd pretty much be it, but it was much better than that. I've taught quite a few people how to do it, in the context of classes and stuff, and I have never seen so many people pick it up so fast or have success so early. I'd love to say I'm just a good teacher, but I think this is clearly an example of good students.

Can't wait until next year! I'm really excited to see what kind of bows all of us come up with, can't wait to shoot the course, can't wait for the awesome dinner, the good stories, the knowledge....

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2015, 11:39:04 pm »
Also wanted to add probably the most rewarding thing I did up there was built my first two friction fires. Tony aka naked feet was kind enough to bring all of his fire making stuff up and gave a whole bunch of us a nice tutorial. For a couple hours about 10 of us took turns building hand drill fires and bow drill fires. One of the coolest things I've done in a long time thanks Tony

You started a fire without map gas? 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2015, 11:57:57 pm »
You would of been proud of me. All my fires i start at primitive shoots from here on out will be friction  O:). For some reason i feel the need to master this one.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #148 on: August 04, 2015, 12:48:21 am »
Maybe you could cook me a big chunk of deer over a friction fire at Marshall next year.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #149 on: August 04, 2015, 12:24:23 pm »
Glad y'all got er done
I'm sure it was a good time
hope to see y'all somewhere along the trail !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !