Author Topic: Hickory Tillering Advice?  (Read 8956 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Hickory Tillering Advice?
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2015, 11:29:45 am »
Good advice from Del, middle 1/3  of right limb maybe a touch, but looking really good. I would shoot it a bit and recheck. Nice job. :)

Pappy

I'm with del and pappy. The outer third of the right limb could us a few scrapes. But put it in your hand and draw it in a mirror and watch the bend. If you can try drawing it while someone is video taping you. The flip the bow over, bottom to top,  and do it again. Then you can watch the video several times. This helped me a lot with a character bow I built. Good luck and keep posting pics. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline GB

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2015, 03:21:01 pm »
I'm the last one to give tillering advice.  I constantly run my gizmo up the limbs and really have to study the pictures I take.  I'm with the others, though; looking good.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 04:08:01 pm »
I'm with the rest.
The picture below shows that the right limb is still a tad stiffer mid-limb, but at this stage I don't really care much about such details anymore, as long as it shoots true and feels good in the hand.

Next time, heat treating the belly (making it stronger) in an earlier stage could maybe help you get a little bit less set (mind you, nothing to be worried about right here), especially with hickory being very tension-strong wood.

joachim

Offline Willibow

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 07:28:09 pm »
Cool picture Joachim, I've never seen one with the ovals in there. I guess that means I built it to an elliptical tiller? I just ran my tillering gizmo up until the last couple inches of draw in order to tiller. That, and incorporate the advice here :-)

Funny how those ellipses show the stiffness on the right. My uneducated eye says the right side is bending more than the left. Got lots more learning to do :-)
Lord, grant me the courage to attempt this bow build.
The strength to pull it to full draw.
And the wisdom to listen to the wood.
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2015, 04:35:17 am »
That looks great, very nice and as you said nothing to worry about on that one. Nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2015, 06:27:21 am »
Yo, I'm not trying to be contrary... (honest  ::))
This is just to illustrate how the fitting of curves is a matter of some interpretation...
The previous ellipses show a bit of a gap just out of the fade on the right limb...
I'd give it a more circular interpretation, (I've deliberately gone a tad more circular than I should)... mind I don't claim to be "right" in the slightest.
You can see I've centred my curve a little further out along the fade too.
I've seen some newbies just force a curve over the whole bow and think it's fine without actually studying it... on the "It fits where it touches"
principal ::).
(I'm not saying Joachim's ellipses are like that)
Del
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:31:58 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2015, 07:17:10 am »
Still looks good to me. Perhaps I ant that picky, :-\ it's a self bow.  ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2015, 09:57:55 am »
Haha Del, I was also making another fit of a more circular tiller AND an elliptical tiller. My point is mostly that fitting two identical ellipses (or circles, which is an ellips with two identical radii, actually) helps you to see differences between limbs with a detailed precision you couldn't see otherwise.
But it's not because you can fit a circle to a limb curve that you have a circular tiller. To see that I add a circle with the top of the circle at the fade, and then I remodel it to whatever fits one limb, and clone it to the other limb. I also kept one circular, and one circular but moved the top of the circle towards the limbs (cheating a bit; you see a tiny gap at the fades). That way you immediately see the difference (circular-elliptical), and you can also see if your profile matches expected tiller shape (arc of circle per limb for a pyramid,etc).

This said, I wouldn't mess with the tiller anymore.
As said before, the differences you still have are irrelevant in the hand. Actually, my placement of circles/ellipses assumes the arrow rest/nocking point is in the middle of the handle. It probably isn't, so you may need tweak the tiller according to where you want to place the arrow.

JOachim

Offline Willibow

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2015, 01:15:10 pm »
I've got the bow pulling 58 lbs at 28", though at that weight I can only draw it about 27"!  I'm used to shooting my wife's 35 pounder and need to work up some muscles!

Please let me know what you think of tiller at this stage. There's still some meat left to adjust without going under my target weight of 55 lbs.

Thanks again!
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2015, 02:07:14 pm »
Looks spot on to me...
I'd be careful of that alien brain sucker device poised ominously above your head :o
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Willibow

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2015, 08:53:06 pm »
Thanks Del! I'll have to tell my alien friends to quit photobombing my tiller check videos  ;D
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline Willibow

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2015, 09:42:45 pm »
Wow.

I was finally able to take this bow out back for the first full-draw test shoot.

Holy smokes! This thing moves arrows like no other bow I've built. Granted, that's only five or six and only one was comparable in draw weight, but it was inefficient as all get out.

Where I'm going with this is to say thanks for all the advice. I see the positive outcome of this bow very much as a group effort  ;D
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2015, 11:01:37 pm »
Thats great bud! I hope you will be shooting it for a long time! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2015, 09:21:46 am »
Glad it all came out like you wanted , nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2015, 03:30:00 pm »
Well done! Shooting a bow you really own is a great feeling.