Author Topic: avoiding walmart  (Read 9773 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: avoiding walmart
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 04:20:14 pm »
I love wally world, who doesn't like standing in a line 15 deep with only two of the registers open out of twenty ::)

I love Wally World too, Must be a Cali thing lol 😀 so much entertainment watching the other customers

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 09:54:30 pm »
Saw a quote recently, "When large multinational corporations can legally pay their workers a wage so low that those workers are eligible for government benefits even though they work full time, those corporations are being subsidized by the American taxpayers."
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 05:03:56 am »
It's a starter job :o any of you older guys ever had one of them ? Not meant to raise a family on, just meant to get you started working and maybe, heaven forbid learn something about work and work ethics. Then move up on to a better paying job. I started a real job at 16 for a tile setter for .65 cents an hour/that was minimum wage at the time, I surly never thought I was going to get married and raise a family on that but also it never entered my mind that I should be making what the guy that set the tile should make. I was there to learn a trade and  something about working for a living ,then move on. Nobody wants to do that anymore, they all want to start at the top  ::) Times have really changed that is for sure. Sorry about the rant but man sometimes it just really get to me, how spoiled we and our youngans are. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline country

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 08:57:51 am »
Amen pappy

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 09:07:15 am »
I try to avoid the place as much as possible
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 09:45:12 am »
I couldn't agree more Pappy!  It seems that everybody expects to start at six figures with a benny package that is out of this world.  My first job was feeding and watering rabbits for a dollar an hour.  The guy that raised the rabbits also had a construction business and liked the way I worked, so after a year he started taking me along as his gopher for 3$ an hour.  Man was I one rich sixth grader!  I earned a reputation at those earlier jobs that got me offers for better jobs.  So on and so forth.  That's part of the problem as well nowadays.  Kids don't work through there younger years to develop skills, ethics and reputation.  Their parents just hand them everything and then dump them into the real world.  If kids would work those starter jobs when they're still under their folks wings, by the time they go out on their own they would be better prepared to make it.  I just had this conversation with my oldest daughter.  None of her friends work and all of them drive nicer vehicles than she does and cruise around on mommy's gas card.  Trying to explain to her how she was going to be better off for her efforts in the long run is a tough sale, but I think she understands a little anyway.  She works hard and she trains hard for athletics hoping to earn scholarships.  I'm pretty proud of her.  Sort of drifted off the subject, but the point is starting jobs are not a bad thing.  There just not meant to be a career.  Josh

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 12:30:39 pm »
I agree with Pappy on this, if you take a job anywhere and agree to the terms of employment that was your choice and no else is to blame. If you want a better job go out and prove to someone your worth more. Show them how hard you are willing to work and how much responsibility your willing to take on and doors will open for you.
I grew up in family with 6 kids, we didn't have much and my dad made it clear that if you wanted something more than what the household could afford you were gonna have to get out there and earn it on your own.
So I laid asphalt shingles in the hot sun during summers in high school for $1.25 an hour so I could have some money of my own. Back then my brother who was a year younger than I worked together and we got good enough at this kinda work that we would get our own "contracted" jobs for building repairs with a few local farmers. That experience taught us a lot about responsibility, accountability and independence as well as math and how basic numbers are important. Best life lesson I ever had and glad to have learned it early in life.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 12:50:07 pm »
Amen brother Greg. That's a carbon copy of my childhood. Worked since I was 15, never unemployed and never drew unemployment. Work for your wants, its a simple equation to solve.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 01:02:38 pm »
Pappy is right on the money, i went to work in the strawberry fields growing root stock at 12 in 115 deg heat to earn my entry fees to rodeo, freshmen year started unloading trucks at 5:00 am till 7:30 went straight to school and back to the trucks at 3:00pm till about 6:00 when the trim shed was working, both my boys were working for me at 12 too but it is a bear to get a job before 16 without a work permit now
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JEB

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 01:38:11 pm »
Today is a "got to have it now" society.  No need to work because someone, whether it be the government or mom and dad will give it to them. That's an obvious general statement and not all parents are like that but MOST are.

We got guys standing on street corners with signs begging for money.  One guy wrote under, need food"  and under that he wrote  "quit telling me to get a job" on his sign.  Apparently people were hollering at him to, get a job.  Keep in mind the Mcdonald's across the street from where he stands has a help wanted sing in the window.

Offline bubby

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 02:56:05 pm »
Yup Jeb , where i work up at the courthouse we had to put locking faceplates on the outlets to get the homeless out they just sit around all day and charge rheir free phones that we give  them or charging their ankle braclets or just sleeping all day cause they are up all nite getting high
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 05:15:26 pm »
I support local business when I can. I still have a tight budget that requires economical solutions and I am afraid big box buying is in my arsenal.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 09:44:10 pm »
Peterson's Hardware is gone, along with the jobs that raised families.

Jensen's U-Save Grocery, along with it's jobs that raised families.  So did my dad, cutting meat for Arne Stromstead at the Piggly Wiggly. 

Rhodenheiser's Rexall Drug Store, Will Lumber, and a lot of other locally owned businesses, you guessed it. 

I agree, there are starting wage jobs, but many breadwinner jobs have been replaced with "starter wage jobs".  It becomes a race to the bottom. And I buy from every local merchant I can find, but they are getting hard to find.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 11:41:48 pm »
My job is evaluated every few years to make sure we make a "liveable" wage. The current starting wage for my position is $15.25 an hour. The average 2 bedroom apartment requires you to make just over $15 an hour to rent. So our wage is liveable, but only if transportation and food is free. I have been at my job 11 years and make about 13% more than the starting wage. If I list all of my certifications on my resume it would be 3 pages of them. Most of my certifications by themselves would pay equally to what I currently make. My employer has my service and experience at a bargain. If minimum wage matched inflation it would currently be more than I make. Yes, kids should be able to get starter jobs. I did. I have worked since I was 15. From tearing down Mink sheds, to washing dishes at Denny's. If I can support local business I do. If you need to shop at Wally's for whatever reason, I do not hold that against you.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 06:00:46 am »
One question JoJo,if all that is true ,why don't you go get another job ? JW the whip and buggy makers are gone also, :) just saying. I buy local also when I can, but if you look at what they sell it came from the same place, Why you say ? To make money of course. :) We have 2 local markets in my area, we are 15/18 miles from town, everything they have is much higher than in town, now who is right, they do it because they can and have captive customers. :) :) Please don't get ill with me over this ,and yes I wished things were like they use to be 30/40 years ago but that ant going to happen again so I just deal with the hand I have been dealt.  :)
The world is much smaller now, like it or not ,that ant going to change. :)This has been a good discussion, thanks for keeping it clean. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good