Author Topic: Elm in Reno, fresh cut  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Willibow

Elm in Reno, fresh cut
« on: June 18, 2015, 07:31:36 pm »
I've got an opportunity to split a 12' tall elm trunk which is going to be cut down next Tuesday for bow wood. I'll be going to look at the tree shortly to see if it's straight with no twist and in relatively good shape.  Not sure what kind of elm, I'll post pictures in hopes someone here can help ID it.

The trunk is said to be about 24" in diameter. I was thinking of having the tree cutter cut it into two 6' sections which I would then quarter with wedges.

How would you handle this? Should I split it into eights? How about dealing the ends, is this necessary with elm? I am in the high desert so humidity typically sits anywhere from 4-12% all summer, and I am a bit worried about it checking. Furthermore, how long should I let it season?

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. Need to make sure it's not junk first! :-)
Lord, grant me the courage to attempt this bow build.
The strength to pull it to full draw.
And the wisdom to listen to the wood.
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline okie64

Re: Elm in Reno, fresh cut
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 08:09:26 pm »
You're gonna need quite a few wedges to split an elm that size. I dont ususally seal the back on whitewoods but in your climate I think i would.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 09:54:42 pm »
Probably Siberian Elm.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 11:41:50 pm »
Okie's correct, lots of wedges needed at that size, and lots of muscle for elm. You may need to kerf cut it for at least the first split, chain saw or circular saw and be careful. I'd peel the bark and seal the ends plus about 6" of the trunk down from the ends. I would only split it in half for now and let it sit in a dry place for about six weeks to help prevent twisting when you reduce it further into more staves.
I have one about 8" in dia. that I cut 3 weeks ago and treated this way only I left it whole for now and no checking so far, just haven't had time to split it yet. Plus I know I'll likely need to be well rested before I tackle that job,
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 04:32:01 am »
Same as said above ,but I would seal the back with the climate you have, and seal it good. ;)I would also get in the coolest place you have at least for a few weeks, I might go in 1/4 for one that big but no more, And yes lots of wedges and plenty of water, maybe even some help if you can con some of your buddies into giving you a hand, that will be a hot tough job, but from the elm I have use [not sure on yours ]well worth the effort. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Willibow

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 02:40:16 pm »
When you say seal the back, do you mean to remove the bark and seal the underlying green wood?

Also, I'm hoping someone can help id which type of elm this is. Sorry about the sideways pictures, for some reason when I upload from my phone they always come out this way :-/

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 02:44:41 pm by Willibow »
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 03:39:06 pm »
Looks like Chinese elm. Never used that one always too twisted.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 05:53:46 pm »
Sorry about the sideways pictures, for some reason when I upload from my phone they always come out this way :-/

Cause you're taking them that way, turn your phone sideways when you snap pics ya goof ;)

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 07:58:59 pm »
 Does look more like Chinese Elm, which is a good thing.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 12:41:32 am »
Yes, remove the bark and seal the underlying sapwood up real good. In my climate I don't have a problem but if it dries to quick where you are it won't hurt to seal it up and not take a chance on it checking.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 04:22:39 pm »
  Elms a beast to split.

I very seldom remove thr bark any more. Split ,spray the bark with pestaside.

I add 2"S reflex while green. Elm takes about 1 1/2 to 2 years to dry enought for a bow. Depending on thickness to staves where and how you store them.

If you do remove the bark do it while it green. Some bark will fall off after a few years. If it's stored in adry place thast gets air. Barn ,pole building.

Back in 91 I cut 3 slippery elms got 65 staves I've made atleast 20 elm bows. To me it's the second best white wood. Behind HICKORY.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 04:27:47 pm »
Looks like Siberian to me. The standard canker on the trunk is normal for it. Not good, but normal. It is hard. Hard. Hard. I have had it stall a hydraulic log splitter before.  I have a 10 foot 10 inch log of it in my garage. It was about 500 pounds when it was wet.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 05:06:54 pm »
Looks like Siberian to me. The standard canker on the trunk is normal for it. Not good, but normal. It is hard. Hard. Hard. I have had it stall a hydraulic log splitter before.  I have a 10 foot 10 inch log of it in my garage. It was about 500 pounds when it was wet.

Looks like the Ulmas Pumila what we call Siberian elm here too. The wood is very hard if it's even growth but gets punky if it has big rings. I haven't made a bow from it but it feels like any other white elm if not tougher.
Springfield, MO

Offline Willibow

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 08:55:27 pm »
I'll have to give it a try and see how it is. The internet says woodworkers (the ones that make static stuff like furniture) seem to love it when it's done, but hate working it. Something about hard to work with hand tools...
-- Bowyers prayer