Author Topic: Ghillie suit build (finally finished)  (Read 7418 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Ghillie suit build (finally finished)
« on: June 19, 2015, 08:52:00 pm »
I'm making a ghillie suit for one of our fine folks on PA. And thought I'd turn it into a build along. I'm starting with an old BDU uniform, a net and rolls of burlap from the big hobby store. You need roughly 5-8 pounds of burlap for the top and about 5 for the bottom. This is my first build along and with work and kids it will take me a while to complete so please bare with me. I hope ya'll enjoy it. I'll try to get it done asap!  Thanks Timothy
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 05:33:44 am by TimothyR »
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Re: Ghillie suit build
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 12:20:35 am »
I used the rolls of burlap. I separated the individual strands into 18" lengths. This is one of the most time consuming parts. I had to dye the net and burlap. I chose dark green for the base color. After all the burlap is separated I'll sew the net on the BDUs.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:37:00 pm by TimothyR »

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 05:31:06 pm »
Cut and sew the netting to the uniform. Seal the stitches with sho goo. Sealing them isn't necessary but it will hold up better.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 10:18:35 am »
You have my attention

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:47:08 pm »
The roll I'm using is 18" wide and 15 yards long. It's 12.99 at the hobby place. Each strand in the roll is doubled, you'll have to look but one side of the roll has a loop so when you pull it out it will be 36" long.  Just pull the double strand out and drap it over the back of a chair until you have 12-15 strands. Now just tie them together in the middle. Use long strands for the torso and cut the 18" strands to 12" and use them for the arms I also wanted to say about the net...you can't use the sho goo and just glue the net to the uniform. There's several ways to attach the jut to the uniform. You can cut slits in the uniform or sew the jut to the uniform.  What ever you do make sure it's secure.

One word of caution. Burlap is flammable so invest in some fire retardant spray.  Also. It's very messy and as we found out in my house my wife is allergic to the fibers. So do it outside or buy the ghillie kits online  their a little more expensive but have none of the bad stuff I just pointed out. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 11:11:40 am by TimothyR »

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 10:09:58 am »
Here is what it looks like so far. Just playing around with color now. I have to do the arms back and bottoms. Also when dying the burlap to the colors of your environment I would suggest you dye the burlap before you separate the strands. It's a pain untangling your bundles.

Offline Oakenshield

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 05:48:38 pm »
That's looking really good Timothy! I had to make a ghillie suit for sniper school when i was in the army a few years ago, so i know how time consuming the process is. Not to steal the spot light or anything, but ill try and grab some pics of mine in storage this weekend. I really like the burlap idea, seems much more durable than sphagnum moss and natural material. Awesome thread, ill be following this one.  :)
College Student, Fly Fisherman, New Bowyer, and proud Army Veteran.

A-Troop, 1/75 Cavalry, 2nd Brigade, 101 Airbourne

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 12:32:10 pm »
That's looking really good Timothy! I had to make a ghillie suit for sniper school when i was in the army a few years ago, so i know how time consuming the process is. Not to steal the spot light or anything, but ill try and grab some pics of mine in storage this weekend. I really like the burlap idea, seems much more durable than sphagnum moss and natural material. Awesome thread, ill be following this one.  :)

Thank you!  I wasn't a sniper but I was in the army. I tried to learn everything the army was willing to teach me. I believe my time in the service was very rewarding.  It was tough but I believe I'm better for it.  I'd like to see pics of your work. This one will be for bow hunting.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 01:52:35 am »
I have to do this one day! I went elcheapo and bought one, instantly regretted it as the material pulls right out.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 05:32:09 am »
My wife was really allergic to the burlap so I had to redo this in synthetic jute strings. I think it turned out pretty good.  We also had our 4th baby a few weeks ago so it took me a long time to get this done. So sorry for the delay.  I made this for Cipriano's son. I used enough Netting to cover my head and shoulders. Just cover the netting for the head or rifle just like the rest of it.  The last pic is Cip's hiding in the bushes and him mom and sister walked right by him no more than two feet and couldn't see him.  I hop ya'll like it thanks and again sorry for the delay.  And sorry for the quality of my photos!