Author Topic: Waldorf's Knappability Scale Comparison  (Read 2065 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Waldorf's Knappability Scale Comparison
« on: June 22, 2015, 11:21:44 am »
In D.C. Waldorf's book "The Art of Flintknapping", he has a list of lithic resources that he rates on a scale of 1 through 5 (page 13).  He says this scale is based on Callahan's scale (Callahan 1979:16) where glass is a 1 and rhyolite is a 5.  Since my scale is reversed and goes from 0 through 10, I have expanded Waldorf's scale to compare it with mine.

Waldorf uses the term "workability" rather than "knappability".

He places many of the materials much lower or higher than I would, which means that my scale (when I add the names of the materials) will be very different.  I will take his ratings into account, though.

Note:  "HT" means Heat Treated.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 11:32:00 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline TRACY

Re: Waldorf's Knappability Scale Comparison
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 02:05:11 pm »
I looked at the scale this weekend. I agree on some chert being ranked a little less knappable than my experience with some rock. Kentucky hornstone and Indiana hornstone are fairly equal in my book. Cobden is also the same as hornstone from my experience.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 02:13:48 pm »
I find the true flint one ranked so high to be interesting. I have always found good English flint to be hard as heck.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 03:35:38 pm »
The definition of flint actually puts it in a sub-category of chert.  It occurs as nodules in chalk and has a very fine texture with a waxy, glass-like surface when fractured.  The way I understand it, there are many varieties of flint but "true" flint would be the very best in terms of knappability.  There are some incredible artifacts made from it in France and Denmark, for example.  But I might drop the classification and just stick with "Exceptional-grade chert".

I agree that English flint is very tough (the dark stuff).  All the pieces I've tried would be in the low-grade chert category.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 03:48:42 pm »
I think I should add that I've been knapping samples of rock found at Native American sites and the majority of the stones (that are in the blank and preform stages) are in the "high-grade chert" category.  I've knapped a couple pieces that might be considered "exceptional-grade" and some that were terrible (two or three that were obviously damaged by heat and one that was extremely tough).  I have yet to knap a preform that felt heat treated but that's probably because those pieces were knapped to completion.

I haven't knapped any finished pieces and I don't plan to.  I think the finished pieces are too valuable and it just doesn't feel right to ruin them.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas