Author Topic: Small wood stove project - FINISHED!  (Read 31363 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Small wood stove project - FINISHED!
« on: June 22, 2015, 11:16:35 pm »
I want to make a small wood stove for my work shop.  This has been on my to do list for a couple of years now.  I did some research and found some cool looking stoves made from propane tanks.  They seemed like the perfect size to heat my 8'x24' room in the winter.  I have been using two small space heaters.  I would like to heat it for free with osage scraps.  I collected a few old tanks over the last year or two.  Dnznbar gave me one of them.  I've been working at a different plant lately and there is an expert welder there.  He said he would help me with it.  I've been gathering parts and researching the best (cheapest) way to make the chimney.  We decided to go with 3" car exhaust pipe.  I picked up a 7.5' section for $25 at a local mechanics shop today.  He flared one end and gave me a scrap piece for free.  I want to re-purpose some tools somehow to make the door latch.  Kind of like a rat rod stove.  I would like to find a brake drum to weld to the top so I could have a cooking surface.  I gathered up some parts and I'm taking them to work tomorrow.  I'll post some pictures as we build it. I'm going to see if he could make one of the tanks into a small wood fire grill for me.  It would be a good size to take on camping trips.  I've been cooking a lot of deer steaks over wood coals lately. 

When I took the valves out of the tanks one of them had some oily liquid in it.  I dumped it in the driveway on some weeds to kill them.  Big mistake.  That liquid stunk like rotten propane terribly bad.  After 5 days and several heavy rain storms the driveway still reeks of propane.  I dug up the gravel and dirt in that spot today and it still smells.  The wife isn't very happy with my project so far.   

Here are the parts we have so far.  I filled the tanks with water to make sure all the propane gas was out of them.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:15:25 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Adam

Re: Small wood stove project
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 11:18:37 pm »
What a cool idea! I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 11:28:18 pm »
The goal is to have something sort of like this when we are done.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 11:30:40 pm »
Pretty neat Clint.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 12:20:39 am »
Good to see you're a step closer since Marshall to realizing your goal. And ya seem to have thought it through well.  Good luck on the finishing stretch!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 01:27:40 am »
Thats cool Clint! How long do you think they will last? Better put some double wall pipe through the wall were the stack goes through. Patrick

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 04:25:38 am »
Cool project Clint ! I saw a pic of one like that,'cept it used a tire rim for a base. Good luck - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 07:32:49 am »
What is the wall thickness of those propane tanks, do you think it will be thick enough to withstand the temps that Osage puts off?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 08:03:59 am »
Nice rig, you sure know how to make something nice from nothing,that should warm your shop a bit.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 08:17:14 am »
I don't know the wall thickness yet.  I don't plan on making a big fire and I'll mix in some ash or oak with the osage.  I plan on putting a couple of fire brick in the bottom of it.  We are going to start working on it tomorrow afternoon.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 08:20:26 am »
Thats cool Clint! How long do you think they will last? Better put some double wall pipe through the wall were the stack goes through. Patrick

I'm planning on running the chimney out the window.  I'll get a steel plate cut to fit it.  I want to be able to take it down during the summer. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 09:33:11 am »
Very cool, Clint. You could set it up in the Clintabago for winter camping too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stoker

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 09:40:15 am »
Cool project.. sand or bricks on the bottom will help for not burning out the bottom
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 10:37:04 am »
Cool project Clint!  That oily stuff is mercaptan.  It's the stenching agent used on propane since propane is odorless.  DO NOT get that stuff on your shoes or clothes.  It will not wash out with normal detergent.  I see you have several tanks to work with.  Have you give any thought to a double stacker stove for your shop?  They are much more efficient than a single barrel set up.  Josh

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 02:12:20 pm »
Heads up on the flue pipe, galvanized pipe can make you sick when it heats up. I would get black snap pipe with a damper so you could control burn. Plus it is held with screws so it comes apart easily. You could tab it in so no welding necessary.