Author Topic: Small wood stove project - FINISHED!  (Read 31562 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Small wood stove project
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2015, 09:46:07 pm »
I'm working around the welders schedule so we haven't got much done on the stove for several days.  We spent a little bit of time on it tonight.  The door opening was cut and started framing in around it.  We thought it would be better to have some thicker steel to attach the hinges and door to.  It's slowly taking shape.  I think I'm going to try and forge a large round file into a part for the damper.  I've never done any forging so it should be interesting.  I'll try to build a small forge out of fire bricks and see how it goes.   

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2015, 09:59:49 pm »
I also got two mandrel bend 45 degree elbows for the chimney in the mail today.  I need to get them flared out on one end. 

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2015, 10:47:51 pm »
That sucka is lookin' impressive.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2015, 11:08:38 pm »
Looking great
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

blackhawk

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2015, 07:42:44 am »
Cool pal....wanna make me one too ;) pleeeease ;)

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2015, 12:44:34 pm »
Does the inside of the top just open into the chimney pipe or is there some baffle or other bits in there to keep ashes from rising thru?  Real cool project.  Russ

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2015, 12:59:51 pm »
Its open inside.  We talked about putting a baffle in it but didn't think it was necessary since we made it taller.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2015, 11:31:33 pm »
We are going to use a piece of square tubing for a damper under the door.  There will be a plate inside of it to control the air flow.  Today I tried to do some forging for the first time ever.  I took a round file and made it into the handle for the damper. 

I used some fire brick, a piece of car exhaust pipe, and the blower from an inflatable snowman.  My pile of scrap wood got soaked with rain so I had to weed out a few low quality osage staves for the fuel.  I enjoyed heating and shaping the metal.  Everything went pretty smooth.  I singed some hair off my arm and a piece of slag caught my shirt on fire.  I think I'll set up a permanent forge up off the ground sometime. 

I flattened out the bottom for the handle and flattened out the center part of the rod so the plate can attach to it.

After it cooled off I cut the bottom off and rounded the edges out.  I'm going to put some wood scales on it next. 

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2015, 11:55:36 pm »
I used ... ... a piece of car exhaust pipe and the blower from an inflatable snowman. 

Everything went pretty smooth.  I singed some hair off my arm and a piece of slag caught my shirt on fire.

You're truly an ingenious fella!  But just couldn't help myself .... laughing so loudly that The Wife came a runnin' to find out what was so hilarious.

:laugh:    ;D    :laugh:    :D    :laugh:
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2015, 09:18:40 am »
Looking good Clint

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2015, 11:49:40 am »
Woo, nice forge  :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2015, 10:02:01 pm »
Looks like you got another hobby :D

I didn't see the pic of the osage fired pizza like we made at moontree >:D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2015, 10:05:04 pm »
Thanks guys.

Knoll, Next year at the Classic remind me to tell you my sparkler bomb story.

Tracy, I'll stick with the metal work instead of cooking.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2015, 10:47:59 pm »
I put some osage scales on the handle.  The epoxy wasn't set up enough for me to shape them.  That will have to wait until Monday.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2015, 06:36:17 am »
Everything went pretty smooth.  I singed some hair off my arm and a piece of slag caught my shirt on fire.  I think I'll set up a permanent forge up off the ground sometime.  

Man made materials catch on fire easily. Cotton, wool, leather, will smolder but not burst into flame.
Steve Bennett