Author Topic: Curly-leaf mountain mahogany methods  (Read 4508 times)

Offline Willibow

Curly-leaf mountain mahogany methods
« on: June 23, 2015, 10:47:36 am »
I live about 30 minutes away from the sierras, and am aware of a whole bunch of mountain mahogany growing within a few minutes walk from the roads.

Is curly-leafed mountain mahogany suitable for self or backed bows? And if so, should it be treated like a white wood or a ring chased like Osage?

I've got to go out and see if any branches or small trees look suitable to turn into arrow flingers. I'm hoping for some one who has worked this wood before or who has secondhand knowledge to give some advice about how to treat any harvested wood.

Thanks again!
Lord, grant me the courage to attempt this bow build.
The strength to pull it to full draw.
And the wisdom to listen to the wood.
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline aaron

!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 01:38:57 pm »
I've never done a bow from it, but I have made a rabbit stick, atlatl, and other projects. It is so hard and dense that you will be amazed. That stuff makes osage seem like balsa! I sealed the ends after cutting and had only minimal checking.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Curly-leaf mountain mahogany methods
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 01:44:02 pm »
Its not a common bow wood, I believe it was used for arrow fore shafting.
If you can manage to find a bow size stave I would try a self bow, save the sinew for a lighter wood

Offline alwayslookin

In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Willibow

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 07:14:36 pm »
Looks like it can be made into a pretty sweet bow. Now I just have to go out and find a long enough piece and hope it doesn't warp or check in my low humidity desert environment. :D
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 08:23:22 pm »
U could maybe rough out the bow and clamp it in place how u want the profile to look to prevent warping. Someone did something similar on here. Different wood though
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Willibow

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 10:29:57 pm »
Won't the bow check if the whole thing is roughed out before dry? Should the bow be sealed if it's roughed out green? Never done it this way.
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 12:48:49 am »
Mountain mahogany is a great bow wood. It is near impossible to find a stave suitable for a bow yet it was a favored bow ni the great basin. Bow fragments have been found in dry caves in Utah and Nevada. There is for sure 1 and probably 2- 1/2 bows of it in the Natural history museum in Salt Lake City. More recently it was a favored wood of the Ute, Paiute, Apache, Navajo and other southwest tribes.
 because of this I needed to try it. Spent a few hours looking for some in a place where many grow. Made a couple self bows 35" long or so and a 46" sinew backed bow from a stave full of little knots. Shot it for a while at 23" draw. A few shots at 24" and she exploded. It may have been favored for early bows as you do not need to follow a ring. You can cut through grain and twist and even ignore small knots. If you are lucky enough to find a nice stave it shoots quite fast too.

Offline Willibow

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 01:44:45 am »
Thanks loefflerchuck. How do you handle the staves you cut? I've only ever worked boards, so processing live wood is unfamiliar to me and I am hoping for all the pointers I can get. 
-- Bowyers prayer

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 04:49:47 am »
Work it down to floor tiller then seal the back with pva or similar. The thicker wood is the more likely it is to check. Be careful of the center pith as well as wood always wants to check to the center eg. coat the whole section around the handle area/anywhere you are close to the center with pva.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 01:33:00 am »
Exactly what Mike said. The only checking I had was with split logs and they went from the center in.

Offline Willibow

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 02:45:02 am »
Thanks guys. I'll report back next time I have a chance to go into the mountains and look for a piece or two.
-- Bowyers prayer