Author Topic: Tree ID Help NC  (Read 7684 times)

gutpile

Re: Tree ID Help NC
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 10:41:02 am »
the oak is not white it is a pin oak in the red oak family. a southern red oak will have a turkey foot leaf..many species of oak fall in red oak family ..the slick bark tree looks like beech.. good wood..your best wood shown is the hickory no doubt..sourwood has a cross intertwining grain similar to dogwood... tough to work heavy wood, will make a good bow but will take set..top pic is no doubt poplar...soft wood brittle when dried, not that great for bows IMO but I never built one either..haha... .gut

gutpile

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 10:49:29 am »
being in NC you have to treat that hickory right or it will be a dud.. it needs to be below 12 % and the only way to do that is conditioned air or hot box it with a fan... any time you take it out to work put back inside afterwards..Hickory is extremely hydroscopic and soaks up moisture like a sponge... if you dont get the moisture right she will take set ..get it right and she will stand against osage with authority..gut

Offline TolkienFan

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 11:15:33 am »
Thanks Chief and Gutpile for the advice and encouragement.  That is good to know about hickory.  Once you finish a hickory bow and have it at the right moisture content, what would you suggest sealing it with? 

Also, what is the best brand/type of humidity reader? 

“The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can.”

gutpile

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 01:43:39 pm »
I seal mine with spar varathene out of the can....once sealed you don't have to worry about it outside any more...gut

Offline TolkienFan

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 11:06:48 pm »
Can any of you guys help me identify this?

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 11:36:05 pm »
Looks like another hickory tree or pecan. Don't know what type if it's hickory I don't have any hickory around me so don't know the specifics. Any nut or fruit bearing tree is usually good for bows.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 12:38:34 am »
I believe that's a walnut tree in the last image. Might try scratching the nut shell with your fingernail, if its sour and stinky then its walnut.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 01:28:55 am »
black walnut, cut into the heartwood and it should have a strong smell.

Offline J05H

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 02:03:10 am »
That is most definitely Black Walnut. It grows all over the place where I grew up.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 07:52:44 am »
black walnut, cut into the heartwood and it should have a strong smell.

No need to do all that. Just crush a leave for the bitter smell if it doesn't have nuts :D Too valuable to cut down just to id..
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline TolkienFan

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 09:32:53 am »
Thanks guys. I will take a nut and check it out. Walnut is a type of hickory, right? So it is good for bows?

vtbow

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 09:55:12 am »
TolkienFan I just wanted to give you a more exact identification for the first pic in this thread. People have called it poplar, but that's probably regional. Lots of different trees are called poplar depending on where you're from -- for instance, here in Vermont the Eastern Cottonwood (Populus Deltoides) is called "poplar." It is truly in the poplar family genus (Populus). The wood is light colored relatively weak, split and warp prone when I've tried to use it for making things after sawing in my mill.

The tree in your first photo is actually so-called "yellow poplar" or "tulip tree", Liriodendron tulipfera, It is not a true poplar (Populus) at all. It's outward charactersitics are very different than the true poplars. The leaf is shiny and mitten shaped instead of oval, dull, and sawtoothed. The trees are tall and very straight, and the bark and flowers are very different.

I don't know if it is a good wood for bows, but I do believe it's a better wood than the real poplars for other uses, so there may be some confusion about whether "poplar" is usable, depending on what actual tree wood was tried. Just saying, maybe not rule it out just yet unless someone knows for sure about Liriodendron, and not Populus.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 09:59:56 am by vtbow »

Offline TolkienFan

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 10:13:00 am »
Wow! I appreciate and am impressed by your thoroughness. I will look more into it. There are lots of them here, so if someone has any experience with them I might try it out.

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 10:28:15 am »
Tulip "Poplar" is what you will typically find as Poplar dowels or lumber at Home Depot. Good for arrows but not a bow wood.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2015, 10:32:11 am »
Hickories are in the Juglanaceae family (Black walnut- Juglans nigra) but way stronger wood than the walnuts. Black walnut will make a bow but I'd overbuild a black walnut bow. Use the wood under the bark for the back.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 07:55:53 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC