Author Topic: Tree ID Help NC  (Read 7682 times)

Offline TolkienFan

Re: Tree ID Help NC
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2015, 06:57:43 pm »
Hey guys, I need help with another tree.  Sorry, the ncforestry guide doesn't seem to help me beyond about 4-5 possibilities.  I think I just have to little general knowledge about trees and how they describe them.  Anyway here it is...

“The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can.”

Offline okie64

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2015, 07:26:23 pm »
Looks like chinese elm to me. Its usually planted as an ornamental in parking lots and such.

Offline TolkienFan

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2015, 09:42:53 pm »
Any idea if it's good for bows?

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2015, 10:25:23 pm »
Yes, chinese elm is a true elm and elm will make good bows, unlike siberian elm which isn't a true elm. CE is considered the hardest wooded elm by many. Like other elm the grain is interlocking, so it should be tooled as such(extra sharp blades to avoid tear out and maybe bandsaw splitting rather than wedges)
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2015, 12:54:57 am »
Just a heads up for the OP and any others lurking and trying to ID their own trees ... There's a great app called leafsnap that has lots of useful hi-def images and info for identifying trees. It will also let you snap a pic on your phone or whatever of a leaf from the tree laid on a sheet of plain white printer paper, and it will attempt to automatically Identify it based on leaf shape, and will give you some likely hits.

Offline TolkienFan

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2015, 12:57:51 am »
Thanks Dakota Kid! That is very helpful to know.

Thank you Little Ben! I have tried a couple other apps and they weren't very good. That will be huge for me. 

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2015, 01:23:16 am »
No prob TFan. I think leafsnap is specifically for the northeast, but a lot of species are common to the southeast and the whole eastern seaboard. Good luck on your staves. Keep us posted.

Offline TolkienFan

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 04:55:50 pm »
Two more trees I need help identifying. A colleague and friend of mine let me cut these smaller trees at his place this morning.  He had a beautiful hickory that he wouldn't let me cut  :o :(, but, he let me cut these two bc they were in the way. 

Looked em up but couldn't find what they were...

First two photos... this tree has 3 leaves that look like it might be a hickory, but then had a 4th leaf that was right below them.  He had a lot of these.

Second two set of photos... the leaves looked kind of like the sourwood I found earlier but the bark was very different.  It smelled REALLY sweet when I was stripping the bark.

Thanks Again!

Offline Webradbury

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2015, 05:42:04 pm »
First one is a Beech. Second is a Cherry. Look around where the Beech trees are growing. In my area, Hophornbeam likes the same soil as Beech and I find them growing on the same ground. Will

Offline TolkienFan

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2015, 06:00:37 pm »
Thanks Will! 

Oooh Cherry is one amazing smelling tree! :D

Both make decent bows right?  I will try em out either way bc they were free, but it would be good to know if anyone has any experience with them?

Offline TolkienFan

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 09:48:45 am »
Anyone know specifically what type of cherry and beech they are?

Offline Webradbury

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2015, 12:57:31 am »
The beech is Fagus Grandifolia. The cherry, if wild, is Prunis serotina...aka black cherry, aka wild cherry. Both are prodigious in NC.  I say "wild" because it could be a species of ornamental cherry, it is hard to tell from the photo. I don't know about the Beech, but I have heard of bows being made from Cherry. I however, have no experience with either. If you are a wood turner, Cherry turns well. And like you said, it smells nice. I turned a small lidded vessel from cherry with sapwood/heartwood. Turned out nice and my wife kept it for herself. One of the few things I have done that has ever impressed her! Will

Offline TolkienFan

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2015, 10:50:10 am »
Thanks Will. I am pretty sure it is wild. 

That sounds nice, I would love to turn some of the cherry.  I almost bought a laithe at a yard sale yesterday, but I don't have any space for it and am going to move soon.   

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2015, 11:15:00 am »
  DREWER roigh on all acounts. That hickorys is shag bark around here.

And pats also right on the last pic. it's beach. Granddady called therm indain unbrala's. Because there such a light wood way lighter that poplur. Lighting won't strike it.

Supper easy to carve and when the tree fills it in the cut's  You'll be able see it for along time. I use gobbler hunt farm down there as well as along the potomac for a mile each way.

All along to ridge on WV side covering MCCOYS ferry are gun in place ments. There beach trees along it. With civil war sholiders carved names and dates. The oldest is JOHD H. 1st YK. There's a couple others in alot around 1900's.

One tree has wrighting burned into it. I put mine spring od 1980.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PatM

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2015, 11:46:29 am »
Yes, chinese elm is a true elm and elm will make good bows, unlike siberian elm which isn't a true elm. CE is considered the hardest wooded elm by many. Like other elm the grain is interlocking, so it should be tooled as such(extra sharp blades to avoid tear out and maybe bandsaw splitting rather than wedges)

Siberian elm certainly is a true Elm.