Author Topic: Tags and Trips  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Tags and Trips
« on: June 20, 2015, 09:27:28 am »
Yesterday I sent the down payment for a moose/fishing trip to Alberta.  Its a place called Andrew Lake Lodge and is a fly in guided hunt. You can check it out on the net.  I killed a bear with my bow there the first trip and caught some big lake trout and pike.  Its a huge lake and a challenge to hunt during the rut.  Well, wouldn't you know the results for the hunting tags here in Wyoming came out yesterday also.  Some areas in Wyoming are general tag areas where you can just buy a license over the counter.  The majority of the state including the ranch where I live are drawings. Its been a long dry spell for any kind of tag for me, but not this year!  I drew an any deer tag, an any antelope tag, and a bull elk tag for right here on the ranch! Now my job is to get these old legs in shape, break out all my bows and get tuned up for the big hunting year like we had in the old days.  Will have to make some more points and build more arrows.  Maybe I can con Hawk Huston into guiding me.  Like Pappy says, "Life is Great"! Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Stringman

Re: Tags and Trips
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 10:20:31 am »
Sounds like you hit the jackpot, Joe! I'll be rooting for ya!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 11:19:31 am »
Congrats Joe. Looking forward to stories and pics. I'll post the pics for you when you get them.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 03:38:09 pm »
Awesome!  It sounds like you are in for a red letter year.  Best of luck to you.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 04:45:01 pm »
Congrats Joe, you are living the dream for sure. Wish you all the good luck and straight shooting. I am very anxious for the stories as well, hell if the oilfield stays slow I might even just come up and be camp cook/ horse wrangler for ya. Oh I have a big season planned out as well here in Colorado. Again good luck savor it all.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 11:51:09 am »
This year is going to be kind of like the old days when I lived on a ranch between Cody and Yellowstone.  I talked to Hawk this morning and he said he will try to help with the hunts. Recon he will be able to get some good trophies tied down for me?  ;D Well I thought I should get started on the practicing so I got seven bows out and tried each to see if any were going to work.  Two from Pappy, two new trades, two laminated I made from the classic some time ago, and a take down Hawk gifted me.  What I learned about each of them is that none were sighted in! :o  They scattered arrows all over the target and the one that worked best as far as hitting where I aimed had arrows sticking at about a forty five degree angle!  :embarassed: Looks like there needs to be some serious practicing or some getting so close that I will have to lean back to draw the arrow! :)  I do have a short recurve that was given to me by a close friend that he made back in the 60s when he worked for Damon Howett!  It is one of those kind that we can't talk about on the PA site.  It is a Bear type design and shoots great.  Its horse friendly so I hate to admit it, but it could be a candidate.  Maybe its a good thing that hunting season is a few months away!  For me the antelope will be the biggest challenge as I have had many failed attempts in the past.  Its funny that an old man like me can still get charged up over stick and string hunts!  Joe

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 07:02:46 am »
Congrats Joe, that is great news, I am sure you will get yourself back in good shape for the hunt, legs and your shooting also. ;) :) Can't wait to hear the stories and of course some pictures.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Patches

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 02:06:38 pm »
Sounds like a great fall with all those tags.  Good luck getting your bows tuned and good luck hunting! 

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 10:23:15 pm »
Thanks for the good luck wishes.  I found out that I needed an archery license to hunt in the early bow seasons.  We can use stone points and the archery season is all thru the rut for elk.  There is nothing that compares to having a big ole nasty smelling bull to come in close either sneaking or on a dead run.  Its been a long time since I killed an elk with my bow so it is going to be fun.  Just hope Hawk and be here to help out!  Joe

Offline Seldomseen

• Listen to the wild, it's calling you.
    • Esico•Triton, Int'l
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 10:13:54 am »
Joe, I'm just back to the Forums after a long break. Getting back after injuries put me in the Armchair Archer's world so to speak.
I lived in CT and am now in Maine. But, I also have lived in Lander, WY and still have friends there. I was buying points for putting in for an Elk tag but stopped a year ago. I think I should start up again. Can't recall if now I've lost my points because I missed a year? Anyway, sounds like you have an exciting fall, one many of us could be envious of. For me, I'll get into the woods on my property here in Maine and see if I can't finally get myself a Deer.

Good luck.

Bill, AKA Seldomseen
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
                         John Muir

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 09:14:06 am »
Bill: I know about the injury thing!  Got bucked off my mule in the high country and landed on my right shoulder.  Just now getting to where I can pull my bows without pain.  Also, I went to college at the University of Wyo. with a fellow from Lander.  We were on the wrestling team and rodeo team together.  He has a big ranch out of Lander.  Hope you have some good luck with the hunts you plan this year!  Joe