Author Topic: Cooking over fire or BQ  (Read 7714 times)

Offline bow101

Cooking over fire or BQ
« on: June 27, 2015, 11:04:09 pm »
I dont know why but cooking food on a fire has a better flavor than a BQ in my mind.  The best meat I've had to date has been pork chops and beef ribs on a camp fire.  Had a few chicken sausages 2 weeks ago on the fire. ;)
I wait till I have good embers and gather some Alder leaves and toss them in the fire.  Alder is the next best thing to cherry out west.  We dont have Hickory trees.    It seems that most meat done on a BQ always has the same taste, where a fire brings out more natural flavors.

Ya thunk......?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Cooking over fire or BQ
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 11:37:09 pm »
Two best appetizers ever...fresh air and woodsmoke.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 04:05:35 am »
Amen to that JW ! A Bud and I one time hung a Bone-in Venison front shoulder with a rope off the top post of the fire irons. Just had to twist the rope up and the roast would slowly rotate - We let this go on for about 4 hours over a bed of hardwood coals. 'Twas the BEST Venison I ever ran over My Lips ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 08:45:36 pm »
Antelope hind quarter spitted and turned over a slow fire, kept wiping it down with crushed chokecherry berries until it formed a crisp crust.  Next to the bone it was pink, after 2 hrs of slow turning.  We just handed it around the fire and everyone sliced off a chunk at a time until it was finished.  My old Scully dog got the bone afterward.  No one complained.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 10:24:05 pm »
I've been cooking over osage coals a lot lately.  Marinated deer steaks are my favorite.  The bacon and cheese mixed ground burger was a close second.  I was looking at my propane grill today to see how hard it would be to convert it over to a wood grill.  In the evening I like to get a good fire going and then go inside to shower and get cleaned up.  By the time I come back outside with the food the fire is down to a nice bed of coals. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 11:38:26 am »
 Both of my sons the younger one (14 th)we still do it some mornings. Every SUNDAY AND MISS SCHOOL MORNINGS. We we but a few brats,salage links I love boiled coffee on a open fire. Together built him a nice fire place in his fort. We even camped there a few times. Just to eat food.

I fell food open fire cookings a good talant to have and the foods good also. I've cooked over so many camping,floating and fishing fires I could never remember them all if I had 2 brains.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 06:30:58 pm »
Coals are coals to me. It is all good. The Weber kettle just keeps me from burning stuff and can even cook itself without attention for a while in indirect mode. When a campfire can be had, why not cook over it. I love it all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 08:16:27 pm »
Wife and I did an all day brisket at a State Forest Campground in the fire pit using all wood. Not a soul in the park either, just the way we like it! Damn that was the best beef Ive ever ate to date. Like dad says, "It'll make ya' return stuff ya' never stole!"
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 10:28:43 am »
I love that quote PD.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 10:40:17 am »
The ol' man is a one liner machine Chief. If I could remember 10% Id be doing good.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 05:48:57 pm »
Like dad says, "It'll make ya' return stuff ya' never stole!"

That's a great quote Pearlie... Fire roasted brisket.. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Every weekend we are home we Bbq something.. have been known to start the fire at 4am.. Not hard work just takes time
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano