Author Topic: Mojam questions regarding roughed out bows, and a few others  (Read 5595 times)

Offline make-n-break

Admin,

You can move this if its in the wrong topic but I figured I'd post it here since my main concern is about staves.

Questions:

Can we bring our own roughed out staves for tinkering or completion at Mojam? It's hard to find good info online. I have a plum sapling roughed out that will make a monster and be ready to tiller by Mojam, also a roughed out hackberry that would make a 40-50 pounder.

Should we bring our own tools?

What are the primitive camping regs? Tents ok in the primitive camping area? What's the cost per night?

It's about 3.5 hours from my house and will be my first year. Gonna try for Friday and Saturday. Are there any other general recommendations from you seasoned Mojam vets for "must brings" for a first timer?
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: Mojam questions regarding roughed out bows, and a few others
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 02:04:21 pm »
absolutely bring anything from a log to a roughed out bow...we will help in any way we can... lots of people go from log to shooting bow in the 3 days they are there...
Bob
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 02:13:35 pm »
Where is mojam? I won't be able to make it for a year or two but would really like to come eventually.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 02:32:19 pm »
Absolutely bring your tools if so inclined.  A number of fellas will be bringing such things as shaving horses or stave clamps, heat gun, cauls, and the usual assortment of bow-making tools.

All camping spots are of the primitive variety.  There's a few electrical hookup spots, but they're few. Most of us are tenters. Camping is no charge.  No registration $$.  Some of shootin' compettions have nominal fee, but access to 3d range is complimentary.

If ya can make it on Thursday, ya won't be sorry.

Potluck dinner usually held Sat eve.  So, if possible, bring a dish of some kind.

Here's link to Marshall Bowhunters website.  http://www.marshallbowhunters.org/events/mojam/

See ya there!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:11:02 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 02:52:07 pm »
MoJam is held just off the golf course ? in Marshall, Mo.  It is free and the best Primitive  jamboree out there... IMHO... OJam may be close, but I haven't been there ...yet.  It's on my short "to do " list.

Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 03:07:06 pm »
Thanks for the replies gents.

I won't need an electrical hookup. Just curious if tents were primitive enough for the gathering, or if I needed to dig a hole with an e-tool lol!

I won't make it on Thursday on account of work, but I'll be there from Friday afternoon til the end.

Well then, I'll definitely be bringing my tools, a small pile of roughed out staves, and would be happy to bring some food for the potluck. I'm really looking forward to it!

"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 05:14:58 pm »
Last year was very nice, but as a rule, the week of MOJAM can be VERY hot.  Please plan to keep ample hydration going.  Each year that I have been there, we have had free ICE available.  Be sure to bring a cooler and somekind of drinking vessel to have on hand most of the time.

There has always been a band saw and a belt sander available as well, but other than these, you should plan to bring what tools you need.  If you are missing something, there are always guys there that did bring whatever you might be missing.  I have loaned my tools with reckless abandon and have never lost anything at MOJAM.  There are some really knowledgeable guys,
...and several of us that pretend to be, that are always willing to help with your bow building projects, whatever state you are at in the project.

In addition to the hydration drinking, there is sometimes a wee bit of adult beverage imbibing that happens at MOJAM.  There is a good deal of sharing that happens with this as well, so if you partake of such, plan to contribute something as well.  MOJAM is a family friendly event, so it's not like anyone is getting loaded and acting foolish, ...but some degree of ethanol related relaxation does occur in the evenings.

All-in-all, MOJAM is about the most rewarding and fun experience a body can have anywhere on the planet while staying comfortably and modestly dressed.  >:D

Onebow

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 09:05:56 pm »
I couldn't have said it better myself fellas!

make-n-break, expect it to be fairly crowded on Friday afternoon. But we all will try to help you find a place to pitch your tent. There is a Pavilion where a lot of us gather to work on bows and to do some demonstrations. There is a concession stand as well. There will be a lot of trading going on as well as several vendor's. Be sure to bring a bit of wampum as well. There will be an auction on Saturday night of all of the items people donate to help raise money for the event.

I'm going to try to bring name tags so the guys from the forums can put their screen names on them to. I missed meeting so many of them last year. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 10:11:52 pm »
Glad to hear that a first timer is coming. Bring what ya got and someone will furnish what you forgot...  ;D
Funny story there, stop by my camp and I'll share it with you.   ;)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 12:58:11 am »
All-in-all, MOJAM is about the most rewarding and fun experience a body can have anywhere on the planet while staying comfortably and modestly dressed.  >:D
Onebow[/size][/color][/font]
Onebow has such a way with the English language!   :-*
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 09:28:08 am »
Thanks for the info everyone.

Patrick, I think that's a great idea. I'd sport the name tag for sure. It would be cool to be able to spot the PA guys, especially if it's a big event. I'm bringing a buddy with me who likes primitive weapons and archery and takes great interest in it, but doesn't build his equipment just yet. He thinks it sounds like a 'must go' event, so I'm happy to bring him along. We'd love to pitch the tent near some PA folks.

As far as hydrating and heat goes, I've lived roughly 3 hours from Marshall my whole life, so I'm acclimated to the 100 degrees and 100% humidity  8)   (hoping it won't be quite that bad)

When it gets a little closer I'll get some more info on good camping spots. I'll bring plenty of fire-water and food to share. Look forward to meeting you all.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 10:41:31 am »
It will be hard not to pitch your tent near folks that hang out here at PA.  :)
One of these years we really need to do that group photo...  ???

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 10:57:24 am »
Maybe we can try to do a group photo this year Paul. It will only take 10 min of our time. Maybe before the potluck on Saturday?Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 03:32:08 pm »
Hope you are better at remembering to get a photo than I am never happens at Marshall Mi,
 I need someone else in charge of it
Have fun fellows
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 09:07:10 pm »
Saturday before the potluck could work but some folks might have left early so maybe we could try one  Friday.