Author Topic: Mulberry billets for trade at MoJam (pics added)  (Read 3606 times)

Offline make-n-break

Mulberry billets for trade at MoJam (pics added)
« on: June 29, 2015, 11:25:30 am »
Hey guys,

I have 3 real clean mulberry staves I'd like to trade at MoJam. Between 36-39" long. They have been reduced quite far, and will be "rapid seasoned" 2 months by MoJam. As reduced as they are, they shouldn't be real far off from being ready to work. They have clean backs, medium rings and almost no twist or reflex/deflex warp at all. I will post pictures later today.

I'm interested in just about anything, so post what you'd be willing to trade if you're interested. Maybe some knapped points, a full length stave, a simple primitive quiver.. I'm open to anything primitive.

I'm surrounded by mulberry and hackberry.. they're almost invasive around here. I'd be willing to go out and find another 4-6 fresh cut billets of mulberry or fresh cut hackberry staves to add to the pot.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:24:01 pm by make-n-break »
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline make-n-break

Re: Mulberry billets for trade at MoJam
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 03:20:15 pm »
They came from the same trunk. All have the same rings. Bark removed and sealed with spar. Plenty of this stuff readily available if I could throw a few more into the mix to interest someone. The dark streak in the one is the pith, not decay.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Mulberry billets for trade at MoJam (pics added)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 04:19:13 pm »
I like those, never worked that kind of wood. I will have stuff to trade there. Maybe we can work something out. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 04:25:34 pm »
Awesome. Im gonna try to get another 6-12 fresh cut mulberries to trade there. Probably billets cuz it's hard to find anything over 40 that isn't too gnarly. Should have a decent pile for trades.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:55:38 pm by make-n-break »

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 05:43:15 pm »
Those are some extra nice billets. All but a few on my property are too gnarly for my liking.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 08:32:24 pm »
Cool, I don't mind same character. I tend to gravitate towards the staves with a funky spot in them. Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 09:32:33 am »
Patrick, I'm gonna head out after work today and try to round up another half dozen billets. I was looking for premium wood before, but I'll see if I can find a couple with some neat character.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 01:22:42 am »
Thank you sir! I can't wait to see them! Patrick

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 10:30:59 pm »
I'd probably be interested in a pair of nice clean ones too. I'll be the fella by the pavilion with the red beard with a pencil in it.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 11:58:19 pm »
I'd probably be interested in a pair of nice clean ones too. I'll be the fella by the pavilion with the red beard with a pencil in it.

I'll be the fat guy with all of the elk handle bow scrapers! Patrick

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 01:10:12 am »
Awesome. I didn't get out the other day as planned due to work, but I've got a nice long weekend starting tomorrow. There's definitely a day devoted to harvesting more mulberry in there. I'll try to get plenty! I'll post pics of the haul when finished.

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 09:02:28 pm »
I will be the other fat guy with a K-Bar in his hand or on my hip.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 09:03:40 pm »
Red or the white?

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 10:57:15 pm »
HA!!! Well gents the mulberry staves for trade just became a no-go. I was at work today and brought my pile'o staves to put another couple coats of spar on them on my break. I sat the mulberry billets and a hackberry stave out behind the shop by the dumpster. Same place I always spray staves.

I leave for lunch, come back an hour later to find that a new employee threw them all in the dumpster as he was cleaning shop right before the trash man got there. I was so shocked all I could do was laugh it off. He had no idea what they were. I won't have time to cut any more before Marshall as I'm trying to finish a bow for my buddy so he can shoot down there.

I guess this my funny story and formal apology at the same time.

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 03:41:13 am »
Ouch