Author Topic: archy site near Reading PA on Schuylkill River  (Read 4571 times)

Offline snedeker

archy site near Reading PA on Schuylkill River
« on: February 05, 2008, 07:01:30 pm »
Jamie, ask and you shall receive.   Actually, Lennie had emailed me and said I should stop posting these things (Just kidding).    Just sent out the report on this last night.   Site near quartzite cobble outcrops on edge of river, we found 24,000 pieces, 57% quartzite, 25% jasper (from well known source area north of Reading, and other = various cjherts.    Had 85 points we could place in types.  Paleo through Late Woodland.    It never ceases to amaze me how little we know about Middle Atlantic region archaeology.  Everybody has wondered for a long time why there are so few Early Woodland points in PA (like Adena from Ohio).  Turms out we;re discovering thtey used the same types from 3,000 - 200 BC.  There was plently of Early Woodland occupation - we're thinking site was related to fishing activities, shad in the rivers then.  Early points (first pic) were of fine jasper and cherts, but ones from 3000-200 bc (2nd pic) are largely of quartzite - cruddy.   Lots of casual quartzite flake tools (gee, I wonder if they were working wood).  Later woodland assemblage (chert triangular arrow heads) (3rd pic) suggest hunting camp maybe more like early times.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline snedeker

Re: archy site near Reading PA on Schuylkill River
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 07:06:21 pm »
I have file size issues with other graphics and in general they are word document files copied out of the report, but I'll get it together

Dave

jamie

Re: archy site near Reading PA on Schuylkill River
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 08:36:44 pm »
thanks dave im gonna move this over to caveman section. ok . if you have pics of the general site of those to see those too. peace