Author Topic: Cecile the Lion  (Read 11006 times)

Offline GB

Re: Cecile the Lion
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2015, 01:37:17 am »
Is it wrong to feel saddened by the killing of this magnificent predator?  Or to be disgusted that he was lured from the preserve by using bait?  From what I've read, the only law that was broken was that his guides didn't have a permit to take the lion and I doubt if the dentist will take any part of the fall for that.  And maybe that's fair.  To me, though, this type of "hunt" stinks worse than the carcass they baited him with.
I agree with jackcrafty in that it's always smart to follow the money if you want to get to the truth of a story.  I read a quote from someone that studied the economic benefits of big game hunting in Zimbabwe.  I'm paraphrasing, but it went like this; "Yes, sport hunting brings in millions of dollars.  But non hunting tourists who visit the preserve bring in billions."  I'm predicting that fewer wealthy dentists will be hunting Zimbabwe in the future.  In the meantime, I hope that the worldwide interest and outrage over this story will force that country's government to do something about the major issues causing their lion population to dwindle; poaching and loss of habitat.
Call me a dreamer or a romantic or whatever, I don't care.  I think everyone who makes wooden bows and loves to shoot them in this day and age has a touch of that anyway.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2015, 10:11:36 am »
Is it wrong to feel saddened by the killing of this magnificent predator?  Or to be disgusted that he was lured from the preserve by using bait?  From what I've read, the only law that was broken was that his guides didn't have a permit to take the lion and I doubt if the dentist will take any part of the fall for that.  And maybe that's fair.  To me, though, this type of "hunt" stinks worse than the carcass they baited him with.
I agree with jackcrafty in that it's always smart to follow the money if you want to get to the truth of a story.  I read a quote from someone that studied the economic benefits of big game hunting in Zimbabwe.  I'm paraphrasing, but it went like this; "Yes, sport hunting brings in millions of dollars.  But non hunting tourists who visit the preserve bring in billions."  I'm predicting that fewer wealthy dentists will be hunting Zimbabwe in the future.  In the meantime, I hope that the worldwide interest and outrage over this story will force that country's government to do something about the major issues causing their lion population to dwindle; poaching and loss of habitat.
Call me a dreamer or a romantic or whatever, I don't care.  I think everyone who makes wooden bows and loves to shoot them in this day and age has a touch of that anyway.

Very good perspective imo. Being a big time student of the loss of world wide Mega Fauna I hate to say we are both dreamers.
The planet can only support X amount of biology. If people and insects increase
some other life numbers must decline. Any creature over a hundred pounds is
endangered, Including the dentist. >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2015, 04:14:45 pm »
Feel very little about this circus....the guy is obviously a poacher that "thinks" his money gives him special privledges....it does not, and he should be prosecuted for poaching "if" what he did was illegal. I hate rich snobs that think their money is privledge above any other person on this planet.

If this were any of us here in the states, you bet your ass you would be prosecuted, by the law, and public opinion. I would like to offer my greatest gratitude to this idiot, (right, or wrong) for his selfishness in obtaining a animal that has brought another tarnishment to the hunting community.....A-hole! >:( >:(

These days you need to think before you shoot, it effects us all! What is done in the woods should stay in the woods, the minute it makes it out there is more reason to hate hunters! >:(
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline GB

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2015, 03:41:16 am »
That's a good, though scary point, Zuma.  I slogged my way through Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" a while back and it opened my eyes as to how truly lucky we humans are to have survived as a species (so far).  His pointing out that modern humans have only existed for 0.0001 per cent of Earth's history is humbling and a bit scary, too.  I gotta get off this topic, though.  Getting depressed... :o

Luckily, I have a bow to work on. ;)
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2015, 02:18:16 pm »
It's amazing how badly we've screwed up the earth in that .0001% of it's history.  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2015, 09:50:09 pm »
It's amazing how badly we've screwed up the earth in that .0001% of it's history.  :o

The natives had it right. It wasnt until those Europeans came ove did things really go south.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2015, 10:28:54 pm »

The natives had it right. It wasnt until those Europeans came ove did things really go south.

What about all the thousands of species that have been lost due to non-white human activity???  What about the entire ecosystem of Australia changing in a matter of a short millennium after the arrival of the dark skinned aboriginals, or the extinction of the moa in a short time after arrival of humans on their island?  This is not a racial thing, this is a human thing. 

Oh, and remember, there are cultures lost to history long before Europeans arrived in North America...the myth of the noble savage is just that, a myth.  Genocide is not a modern European invention.

I am not an apologist for these events, just saying it has been the norm thru human history.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 06:12:08 am »
 Thanks, Very well said JW. :) I wanted to stay out of this one and now I can. ;) :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sleek

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 01:15:43 pm »
I humbly concede the point...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others