Author Topic: Chainsaw repair - FIXED  (Read 16223 times)

Offline DC

Re: Chainsaw repair help
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 01:28:41 am »
The primer bulb won't pop out after I push it.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 09:16:01 am »
I replaced the fuel filter this spring.  I blew it out with the air compressor yesterday.  I ordered a pack of 10 from the auction site.  I'll swap it out with a new one as soon as they get here.  I'm hoping its the fuel line.

They also have a small tight mesh screen inside the carb right under the diaphragm.  If that gets plugged then it's a no go
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 09:44:10 am »
Mine developed the symptom you describe and I had to use a solvent to clean out things. I had been running ethanol gas for a while and the sea foam or Mechanic in a bottle was the remedie. I now run the high octane premix stuff you buy at HD  in my 2 cycle stuff. Expensive but I don't run a saw a lot. Seems to be working better than the low octane no- ethanol mix I was using.

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 06:50:57 pm »
If the primer bulb is stuck in that means there is either a kink in the fuel line or the screen inside the carb is full of trash.Easy fix, just remove the four screws that hold the top cover on the carb, that will be the side where the fuel inlet goes into the carb. Remove the cover and pay close attention to the orientation of the diaphragms. you will then see a small round hole that is probably packed tight with Osage saw dust, there is a small fine mesh screen in that hole, take an ice pick and pop it out. Clean screen and reassemble. If you are going to replace the fuel lines, I would also replace the primer bulb. I have been a chain saw mechanic for over thirty years, PM me if you need any help. Dan

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 04:27:47 pm »
Thanks tallpine.   I'm still working on this thing.  I replaced the fuel line.  I also took the carb apart.  I found the tiny screen inside and it was plugged solid.  I cleaned it all out and blew it off with the air compressor.  The primer bulb is popping back out like it should be.  I can get it to start now.  That's an improvement.  Once it starts it will rev up and sound like normal for about 2 or 3 seconds and then it will die.  I'm stumped.  Any suggestions?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 04:58:06 pm »
Does it have a removable jet of fixed jet in the carb. The high speed jet could have trash in it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 05:39:48 pm »
No clue Pat

vtbow

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 09:02:40 pm »
That sounds like an air leak in the line somewhere, or cracked fuel bulb maybe (they can be really tiny and hidden), or possibly the fuel pump diaphragm needs replacing as someone else mentioned earlier. Anyway, an air leak somehwere. Don't run it much until that is found, or you'll be running lean -- not good for a 2 cycle.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2015, 09:07:35 pm »
I ordered a new primer bulb.  I'll replace it and see what it does.  If that doesn't work I guess I'll get a carb kit and try that.

Thanks for the help guys.

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 12:34:08 am »
First try this, You will find two adjustment screws on the side of the carb. The bottom one is the low speed and the top is high speed. turn the high speed screw OUT about 1/8 of a turn. If that does not help check the diaphragm on the opposite side of where you found the screen. It should be soft and pliable, not stiff. recheck your fuel lines and make sure they are not crossed. The line with the filter goes to the bottom inlet on the carb. the suction side of the primer bulb goes to the other inlet on the carb, the discharge side of the primer bulb goes to the line that empties back in to the tank. I hope all this isn't too confusing, good luck Dan

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2015, 08:28:44 am »
If the above doesn't work, you might have to bear down and rebuild the carb.  The replaced fuel lines should have helped some.  Likely it is starving for fuel, Like Pappy said.  Sometimes if you're lucky, you can take apart without ruining any of the gaskets.  A rebuild kit includes new gaskets and depending on the carb, a new diaphragm for your float bowl.  Having a well lit area on a clean white towel or rag helps organize the small parts.  It really isn't too bad.  Watch for the float bowl spring when removing the bottom bowl cover.  It can be tiny and elusive if it gets away from you.  When you get the carb apart, there could be some obvious "guck" or "greenies" that need to be cleaned out.  Blow out every orifice with the skinny nozzle of the carb cleaner. 

Try Youtube.  Search on the make/model and there is probably some guy that did a film on it.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2015, 01:31:02 pm »
I worked on it some more today.  I replaced the fuel lines on the primer bulb.  The old ones looked fine.  I put a new fuel filter on it to.  I tore the carb all apart and sprayed everything with carb cleaner.  The fuel pump gasket looks fine.  Its pliable and no holes in it.  Everything under the diaphragm looks good.  After I put it all back together it started up and was running great.  It ran like it was brand new.  I started to cut a scrap piece of wood and it started bogging down and died.  I got it restarted and it would idle fine but as soon as I gave it gas it would bog down and die.  Its like its getting to much fuel now or something.  I thought I had it fixed there for a minute or two.  I did learn an important lesson.  Make sure you put the fuel cap back on before you turn the saw upright.  I dumped it all down the front of my shirt and on my shoes.  Stupid mistake  ::)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 02:51:36 pm »
Generally when it bogs down under a load it is the high speed jet.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 03:44:07 pm »
I agree with PatB.  Try adjusting your High Speed screw.  There should be a "L" and an "H" on screws on the side of the carb.  Try again first with 1/2 choke.  If it stays running without bogging down, try turning the "H" screw clockwise.  Small increments are all that is needed.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

vtbow

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 03:48:00 pm »
Yup, sounds like just tuning, now.