Author Topic: Question about MoJam  (Read 2848 times)

Offline DavidV

Question about MoJam
« on: July 01, 2015, 04:39:38 pm »
A lady friend recently asked if I'd go camping with her later this month since she's never done it for real. I said I would but it meant I'd have to skip MoJam this year...

I guess the question is for those with wives/family that aren't all that interested in archery: are there other things to do while camping there, or is she going to lose interest fast? Also, what is the camping like? we'd rather not go if tents are right up on each other.
Springfield, MO

Offline Onebowonder

Re: Question about MoJam
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 05:18:20 pm »
Well, the event is mostly about the archery, obviously, but there is plenty else to do as well.  Indian Hills Park, where the event is held, has a big beautiful swimming pool and is not too far away.  Most of us go there for shower facilities and to cool down a couple times during MOJAM.

Closeness of the camping is variable and generally considered PLUS rather than a minus for the event, but if you were determined to be well removed from the activities going on, it would not be a difficult thing to accomplish.  There are several demonstrations held each year that might prove interesting, depending on who was looking to be interested.  In addition to archery, there is bow building, Atlatyl dart throwing stuff, knapping (the kind done with rocks not pillows), the occasional drum circle around a campfire, lots of vendors displaying primitive wares, and primitive fire starting.

If you'd really like a purely camping experience, there are a couple State campgrounds in easy driving distance that are not at all expensive and have some typical campsite amenities.  That way you could do MOJAM as much as you liked, and then drive off to the more typical camping adventure in the evening or whatever suited your tastes. (Improved Camping at Arrowrock State Park or VanMeter State Park – both are approx. 15 minutes away)

OneBow

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:01:06 pm »
I would bring her. I bring my kids early and my wife comes down on Thursday or friday. They spend most of the time at the pool but they love the event.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 12:59:19 pm »
You might camp at the top of the hill, its generally less crowded.  Farther to walk to get to the festivities though.  Many of the ladies get together and visit, always new friends to be made.  There are always a few vendors who sell interesting stuff.  I very much doubt she'd be bored.

Warning, you can't have a camp fire at MOJAM so its a bit less of the camping experience than you might want.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 06:57:37 pm »
No camp fire?!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Online PaulN/KS

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 12:09:48 am »
Because the club grounds are on city park land there is a no open fire regulation. In the past we have gotten around this with those fire dish type thingies. Last year was cool enough that the fires were nice  for the warmth. Usually that is not the case...