Author Topic: Daohead Flemish twist string board  (Read 2254 times)

Offline dane lund

Daohead Flemish twist string board
« on: August 03, 2015, 02:29:16 am »
First time making a string using this jig.

My question is..... Do The markings on the board indicate the length of the string, or the length of the bow?
In other words,..... If I have a 70" bow NTN, should I use the mark indicating a 70" string, or go the normal 3-4" less than that?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance!,
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Daohead Flemish twist string board
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 02:33:04 am »
Markings on the board are length of the string. At least on mine it is

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 09:02:47 am »
On my board the markings are AMO bow length, for a 3" shorter string than the bow length.

I made mine from plans I picked up on one of the first string making videos that came out about 25 years ago.

I put feet on my jig so I can hold it firmly in my lap with my knees when I make strings.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 09:08:04 am »
I pulled up the plans for your jig and found it to be 2" longer than my jig so I suspect it makes actual string length strings.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 09:26:22 am »
   I built my jig so I set my peg on bow length for a proper length string. I also added about 12" to the length and installed a dowel for my string spool to rest on as I pull off string, that worked out real well. Another add on I did was a flat washer near the starting point with a wingnut so instead of making a loop for my string each time I start I just slide it under the flat washer and it holds it.