Author Topic: snakey bottom buckthorn bow  (Read 7955 times)

owlbait

Re: snakey bottom buckthorn bow
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 03:40:12 pm »
I always admire your craftsmanship Greg. Any chance of seeing that one at Elm Hall?

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 06:21:42 pm »
Very cool Greg.  Beautiful bend

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 07:24:47 pm »
 8) Greg knows Buckthorn  :) :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 07:30:05 pm »
Oooooooooo  I like it!  nice work.   Good tiller and I really like what you did with the finish.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 01:23:44 am »
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad to be done with that bow. I have some new staves of clean and straight wood in the pile to get at next, hope to get a real shooter or two from these. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 01:26:10 am »
Mike I'll bring it up to Elm Hall and you can shoot a round with it, I'll warn you though it seems a little wimpy to me. :)

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 04:02:21 am »
  Greg, I love seeing character bows and yours doesn't disappoint sir...Looking at all the bumps and wiggles at first and then seeing the spot on bend... :o Nice, really nice... 8)
                                                                                                                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline chamookman

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 04:12:55 am »
That one brought a smile to My Face Greg - as always Your bows are spot on ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2015, 04:35:25 am »
Another stunner! Great work on that tricky stick, the f/d pic says it all. To get that perfect tiller from a wonky stave is a master's work.
Congrats on another beauty. And again I love your reserved decoration on your bows.

I've got me some buckthorn after a long years search, tried my first one and broke it. Don,t know if our stuff is as good as yours or is it just my bad work .... >:(
I have another drying, I will go slow and carefully next time.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Jeremy Holden

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 07:46:37 am »
I still can't believe that buckthorn will make a good bow wood.  Unbelievable!  Love the looks of that one with the kick in the bottom limb.  Can you describe that coloring/dye job you did with earth pigments?

-Jeremy Holden

Offline rps3

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 08:01:06 am »
Looks great. I will have to do a search on buckthorn, having no idea what it is.

owlbait

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 08:12:41 am »
Thanks Greg. The older I get, the more I like those wimpy bows! ;) I'll make some special arrows to try out of it.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 08:57:17 am »
Wow Greg that thing looks great.  Love the bit of snake.  Great job man.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 09:17:47 am »
Dang Greg, you found a real nice bow in that piece of wood!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 09:51:41 am »
Thanks guys.
Jeremy, on this one I just used powered earth pigment mixed into a small amount of acrylic glazing liquid and blend it in with a foam brush. Raw umber in the lighter area and burnt sienna at the tips. I've also been putting my bows in the hot box overnight to make sure they are good and dry before heating in the beeswax finish. As you have probably noticed the humidity has been high here, this bow picked up over a 1/4 oz. of moisture just sitting on the bench for a day without any finish/sealer on it. It finished at 11.7 oz. but when left inside the shop for a day unfinished it weighed over 12oz.  Overnight in the box and the mass weight went back down then I took it out and put the beeswax on it right away while it was still warm.