Author Topic: Question about accuracy  (Read 3801 times)

Offline alwayslookin

Question about accuracy
« on: July 04, 2015, 02:23:02 pm »
So a while back I finished a Osage flat bow. Really nice but I'm not super accurate with it. Not bad but not what I want to be. Yesterday I just finished a elb style crepe myrtle bow and I really like it alot. It's got some pretty good string follow but I tell you what it's super accurate. I steamed out some deflex. And it seemed to come back. My thoughts on the string follow are maybe it's not all the way dry. Anyways I don't really care  about the string follow because it shoots so well and I can shoot a quarter from 30 feet. My question is why would two bows with the same draweight with the same arrows shoot so differently. Is there any little tips I can use to fine tune my Osage bow to help the accuracy?
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Question about accuracy
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 03:01:20 pm »
I think the ELB design with long limbs which act like stabilisers gives a smooth steady shot (as does a bit of string follow). Osage is punchier but is denser than some woods like Yew and if the tips are over built or the arrow too light can be less smooth.
Mind a lot has to do with the fine tuning and matching the arrow to the bow.
Some is just psychological tho'. Iif you happen to shoot well one day, then that bow feels like it has magical powers and it becomes a favourite.
We also get hooked on the macho thing... the high draw weight tons of force to brace it... yeah it's fast but it ain't smooth unless you are shooting heavy hunting arrows or medieval 1/2 " shafts! If I was actually hunting for my dinner, i'd probably go for just 40-45# and possiblt an old Hazel neolithic style with a handful of set.
Damn... I'm rambling now ::) :-[
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 03:14:28 pm »
Take this with some salt because I've only been at this a year or so. I've found that the amount of offset(how close it is to centershot) really affects the spine of the arrow needed. Let's say that the Osage bow has 1/4" more offset than the Myrtle. The arrow has to bend around that so it's going to want substantially less spine. Because you're using the same arrows they are matched to one but not the other. If you have some lighter arrows try them. You could also increase the point weight when using the Osage. Keep us posted, I would like to hear other peoples experiences.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 03:23:12 pm »
Bows are inherently accurate. All they do is push the arrow. The arrow is generally where accuracy comes from. They have to be matched to the bow and you and your shooting style.
Shooting the same arrows from completely different bows(except for draw weight) could be the problem. Also, like Del said, longer bows shoot more accurately because of their length.  I've always found shorter bows take me longer to get good with. They aren't as stable as a longer bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 03:59:11 pm »
as stated above ,, just because the draw is the same,, does not mean the bows have the same cast and will shoot the same arrow,, or that the same arrow will shoot well from either bow,,, the handles are shaped different and the string orientation is probably different etc etc,,,   I have a feeling if the arrow pass was tuned a bit and with proper arrows the osage would shoot well for you,, :) if you shot bow bows through a chrono,, one is probably shooter harder than the other,, I am guessing the osage since is has less string follow,, it may require a stiffer spine to shoot like the other bow,, just guessing,,

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 04:05:51 pm »
Awesome guys thanks for all the quick responses. I think the arrow could be a big factor. I will try the heavier points too. I need to wait to get some lighter spined  arrows and see how that works. The width of the handles is about the same. Crazy thing is even with all the set the long bow is much harder to string then the Osage with less set. How's that work out? Maybe it's just more awkward but it feels substantial harder to string. I was thinking about maybe working the inside of the Osage handle a little bit more so the arrow makes more contact with the handle towards the back of the bow.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 06:24:12 pm »
The bows may be the same width but if the string alignment is different then the offset will be different. Unfortunately I don't know of an accurate way of measuring it.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 08:46:08 pm »
alwayslookin, when you figure that one out, let me know. LOL.
I've noticed that some bows just fit my style of shooting better than others.
The hickory bow I'm shooting now fits me really well.
Last years bow taken from the same  1/4 log, in fact from right next to the one I like, does not.
Above you got some good bow tweaking advice for sure.
But don't fight it.
Shoot the one you shoot the best.
Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline snag

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 11:23:02 pm »

"We also get hooked on the macho thing... the high draw weight tons of force to brace it... yeah it's fast but it ain't smooth unless you are shooting heavy hunting arrows or medieval 1/2 " shafts!"
Del
[/quote]

That's interesting Del. I had my first request today by a guy wanting 1/2" shafts for his 110 lb. ELB! 

I'd echo that the arrow properly tuned to the bow makes the bow look good. haha I think we over look this and tend to
blame the bow.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 12:14:38 am »
alwayslookin, when you figure that one out, let me know. LOL.
I've noticed that some bows just fit my style of shooting better than others.
The hickory bow I'm shooting now fits me really well.
Last years bow taken from the same  1/4 log, in fact from right next to the one I like, does not.
Above you got some good bow tweaking advice for sure.
But don't fight it.
Shoot the one you shoot the best.
Jawge
that's good advice I know which bow I will be taking to the woods with me.

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 03:42:43 am »
Highly unlikely that one arrow will work perfectly for both. Lighter points for your osage bow not heavier!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 10:55:24 am »
  Perty simple Just like compounds to day the faster the bow, (grains for compounders) the more all YOUR bad habits come into play. Not the bow it dos'nt change if it dose your holding two peices.

As long as your string follow not some much (2 inchs in most bows) that it note'ly slow your bow to where you can really see it. I can't tell to much is to much. String follow not a really bad thing but I trive to build my bows a little string follow as possable (1/2 inch) to a inch of reflex.

Howard ,hill, young and dozzens built their own bows ( 90,100 pounds.) They true''ly beleived up to 4,5 inchs string follow was exceptable. I you hav'nt built 100 pound bows with out string follow. Your a good bowyer. All mine settled at around 3 1/2 ,4 inchs.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 11:46:03 am »
Highly unlikely that one arrow will work perfectly for both. Lighter points for your osage bow not heavier!

Mike, can you explain why you say lighter tips? In my post I was assuming the Osage had a wider handle(flat vs ELB) and would want less spine. You say lighter points which equals more spine.
Thanks

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 02:01:15 pm »
yes explain  more Mike I was thinking heavier points.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 02:08:40 pm »
The string follow isn't too bad I guess it's a hair over 2 inches. Honestly I don't care if it has some I want accuracy and enough punch to take a animal. It's pulling over fifty at 28 inches and I can shoot leaves from my porch which is way better than I am with my osage. Granted different arrows might just help that out. I just measured the handles on both. The Osage is 1 inch wide(maybe 1 1/8) and  1 1/4 deep the long bow is just shy of 1 1\2 wide but just shy of a inch deep.